Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in need of a metal housing for the 1968 mustang with tachometer. they differ from the 1967, as the belt light was added, please email me if you have 1, checkout www.tachman.com/ford.htm. i am willing to pay or trade for ton's of mustang parts i have.
or call 800-327-8716 m-f 9-6 est.
thanks to all my good friends on vmf
tachman[/b]

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I believe you're refering to the instrument cluster housing right?
I think the belt warning was on all '68 clusters.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sorry Gary, I forgot the whole metal housing is special for the tach!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The website doesn't seem to be working. I'd like to see the difference myself. I hav a tach cluster that I personally pulled out of a 68 "S" code that I used to own, and it has a "C7" number on the back.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
A related tach cluster part, and one that is annoyingly hard to find, is the white plastic housing covering or shielding the two idiot lights at the bottom of the tach. The lights overheat the plastic over time, causing the plastic to melt around the idiot lights.
If you find the proper tach metal housing, it would be a good idea to check the condition of this little housing.
Hopefully your's will be in good shape, unlike my now deformed original....

BTW, anyone have a line on where someone could get a replacement part for this? Just thought I'd inquire.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've got 3 or 4 67-68 instrument clusters laying around... I'll look this evening to see if I can help you. I'm not sure if any are tach clusters.

We've been using something like this on the 67-68 cars.

Dave

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
68RCodeConv said:

Thanks for those pictures. Yours is different from mine, but mine definitely came out of a 68 "S" code Mustang. It was all hooked up and working when I drove the car.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
68RCodeConv said:

The first picture shows the difference. The 68 will have three lights here and the 67 will only have two. The 67 will have a C7 number stamped into it as the 68 has a C8 number. The seat belt reminder light was still an option in 68 so not every car uses this hole. My does but my fastback doesn’t.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My cluster also has three lights above the tach like this one, but they're not in a line like this one. One is in the open hole slightly below the other two in the picture. Also, mine has what looks like a flasher relay between those lights and the clock opening. Everything else looks identical to me. Mine does have a "C7" part number, but I am 150% sure that it came out of a 68 Mustang. So are some 67s and 68s the same?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My instrument cluster (the one pictured above) came out of my 68.5 CJ car which came with the tach. I'm pretty sure that it is the original cluster. The car was very late - built July 20th 1968.

·
Registered
765 Posts
jfstang said:
A related tach cluster part, and one that is annoyingly hard to find, is the white plastic housing covering or shielding the two idiot lights at the bottom of the tach. The lights overheat the plastic over time, causing the plastic to melt around the idiot lights.
If you find the proper tach metal housing, it would be a good idea to check the condition of this little housing.
Hopefully your's will be in good shape, unlike my now deformed original....

BTW, anyone have a line on where someone could get a replacement part for this? Just thought I'd inquire.
Anyone have a picture of this little shield (dont want the hassle removing my own cluster :)? Could be wrong, but the thing cant be that special, so it would be fairly easy for me to make exact copies, if needed.

Paul

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Normally those idiot lites aren't on. That little plastic housing would only
get deformed if those lights were ignored and left on continuosly for a long time!
That said I have no idea where to get one other than to make one!

·
Registered
687 Posts
By way of comparison, the top cluster in this pic is a 67' tach.

http://impressionsbynightmyst.com/mustang/2.JPG

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
SpareTime said:
By way of comparison, the top cluster in this pic is a 67' tach.

http://impressionsbynightmyst.com/mustang/2.JPG
Well, once again, mine looks exactly like the top one (67) but it definitely came out of a 68 "S" code.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
And so it should.
The top cluster is a tach cluster, the bottom cluster is a standard equipment cluster (non-tach).

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
They're both '67!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
jfstang said:
And so it should.
The top cluster is a tach cluster, the bottom cluster is a standard equipment cluster (non-tach).
I think you missed my point. I know both clusters in the picture are 67. My 68 tach cluster looks exactly like the 67 tach cluster in the picture. The pictures posted by 68Rcode show his 68 tach cluster. Mine doesn't look like that one.It looks like the 67 tach cluster.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Sorry - following your train of thought now. I didn't know 68 tach setups were different from 67's. I know the dash wiring differed slightly - two connectors for 67, one large for 68 (or is it other way around??), but aside from that , don't know why the tach clusters would differ. But, as you say, when you have the proof in your hand....
Is a puzzler.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I get your point! You're saying you have a '68 with a '67 type tach cluster.
Are you sure your '68 came from the factory with the '67 type tach cluster?

My point is I put a tach cluster in my '68. I wanted a 6k tach which to my
knowledge was only availible in the '67. Found a complete '67 6k tach cluster,
and modified the cluster harness to plug into my '68 dash harness.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts