Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
-1968 Mustang Coupe -2021 Mercedes CLA35 AMG -2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 6M/T
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using Magnum 500 aluminum wheels 15x7 with 225/60/R15 tires. What should I torque these down to, I do not want to wrap my rotors nor do I want to have the lugs come lose. They are alloy so would it be around 70 to 80 lb ft?
Any help is widely appreciated

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
90 is what I use. Then re torque after driving.
Thank you, I've just realized that my torque wrench doesn't go above 85 (i am a dolt :)) would 85 be okay to use then?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, 85 will be fine. make sure to re torque after driving.
One final question actually, when I retorque, do i loosen each one a bit and then torque it down or just go onto it with the torque wrench without loosening, wouldn't that cause over-torquing?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good/correct advice. Or you could use the concept that my Dad told me (he was a mechanic for 70 years): "Tighten it up until the instant before it breaks, then quit".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good/correct advice. Or you could use the concept that my Dad told me (he was a mechanic for 70 years): "Tighten it up until the instant before it breaks, then quit".
Hahaha, my grandpa said the same thing

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench to put my wheels on.

So far, not one has fallen off.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Steel wheels- 6 chugga chuggas from the impact
Aluminum- 2 chugga chuggas

Or, torque it to the point you can't break it loose at night in a pouring rain and then back off a couple pounds

·
Registered
36,488 Posts
I'm responsible for all the maintenance on this vehicle. I have the 354 page TM 9-808 maintenance manual for the vehicle. I once flipped through the whole thing looking for torque specs. In a way, I found them. The specification for every bolt is "tighten".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm responsible for all the maintenance on this vehicle. I have the 354 page TM 9-808 maintenance manual for the vehicle. I once flipped through the whole thing looking for torque specs. In a way, I found them. The specification for every bolt is "tighten".

View attachment 749601
Hahahahaha I like the sound of that one

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steel wheels- 6 chugga chuggas from the impact
Aluminum- 2 chugga chuggas

Or, torque it to the point you can't break it loose at night in a pouring rain and then back off a couple pounds
OK so 2 chugga chuggas, if only I had an impact :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench to put my wheels on.

So far, not one has fallen off.
I just want to be precise, I don't want my front rotors warping, but if its tight enough, it's tight enough. Thank you for the reassurance

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Don't take offense. Many on this forum where, and despite garages full of tools continue to be, shade tree mechanics with tons of real world experience. We all just want to have fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't take offense. Many on this forum where, and despite garages full of tools continue to be, shade tree mechanics with tons of real world experience. We all just want to have fun.
Same here, hopefully one day I'll be able to give information rather than receive it, it all comes from experience!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts