Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this is not rare, but haven't seen many myself. How many did ford make of 1968 mustang coupes without deluxe interior but did have integrated A/C? When I got the car it had all the heater only stuff in it, but when I dug into the dash it had all the vaccuum stuff with the A/C exchanger. So I thought I had a car with heater only but then found out it originally had A/C. Just curious really.:shrug:

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Just a wild guess there may have been more 68 Mustangs with standard interior and A/C than deluxe. Especially coupes were low price sporty cars for ordinary people. A lot of people got factory A/C because they lived in a hot area that didn't mean they spent extra for deluxe interior which added nothing except perceived bling.

My 68 vert for example has factory A/C, standard interior and the basic 289 2v.

You can go to Kevin Marti's webb site. He has the Ford production data for 67 and newer. You can get standard reports from him at various levels of complexity. You can also submit special requests like how many 68 coupes with standard interior were equipped with factory A/C. Then you could say how many of those were pink with brown interior etc. LOL, you get the idea. For special requests he charges by the hour not standard rate like his normal reports.

Marti also published books with data listed. If you have one of these books you can search manually and develope this kind of info.

Good luck,
Slim

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've got a '68 J-code, standard interior with factory AC. I don't think it's a very rare combo like slim said. I've seen a lot more standard interior w/AC cars than deluxe.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine is another with factory AC and standard interior. Mine is also radio delete, but that was common in the 60s. The car company would build open stock but delete simple personal items like the radio so the customer could personally select a unit at the dealership. The factory would build the cars with the power features, though, since those options were harder to install at the dealer. The dealer could also charge a lot more to install a radio than when ordered straight from the factory. Same with wheels or wheel covers. From the factory with dog dish caps and then the customer would order the full covers or ralley wheels to their liking, again boosting the dealer's sales and profits. Heck, my father bought a '63 Chevy and the cigarette lighter was optional, ticked him off a bit.
Anyway, my '68 stang is still radio delete, the original owner was 65 years old and probably didn't want to hear the popular music at the time. I'd rather just concentrate on my driving and listen to the car while driving. And it also came with the dog dish caps, but were replaced with a set of argent ralley wheels with rings and caps. Luckily both the original painted wheel rims and dog dish caps were saved and came with the car when I bought it, so the originals were preserved to match the Marti Report. But the power features and other items were factory installed on mine like the 289-2v, PS, AC, AT, tinted windows, etc

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Mine is another with factory AC and standard interior. Mine is also radio delete, but that was common in the 60s. The car company would build open stock but delete simple personal items like the radio so the customer could personally select a unit at the dealership. The factory would build the cars with the power features, though, since those options were harder to install at the dealer. The dealer could also charge a lot more to install a radio than when ordered straight from the factory. Same with wheels or wheel covers. From the factory with dog dish caps and then the customer would order the full covers or ralley wheels to their liking, again boosting the dealer's sales and profits. Heck, my father bought a '63 Chevy and the cigarette lighter was optional, ticked him off a bit.
Anyway, my '68 stang is still radio delete, the original owner was 65 years old and probably didn't want to hear the popular music at the time. I'd rather just concentrate on my driving and listen to the car while driving. And it also came with the dog dish caps, but were replaced with a set of argent ralley wheels with rings and caps. Luckily both the original painted wheel rims and dog dish caps were saved and came with the car when I bought it, so the originals were preserved to match the Marti Report. But the power features and other items were factory installed on mine like the 289-2v, PS, AC, AT, tinted windows, etc

Just looked at the photos of your 68 stang. What a beautiful original! Hey my 68 vert has standard interior, power disc brakes, power steering, automatic 289 2V with factory A/c, tinted glass and AM radio. It came with body color wheels and dog dish covers.

Slim

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks slim, problem is I don't want to drive it. Nothing I can really do with it except keep it clean and use it as a reference for other's restorations. I sold my other '68 so my wife could have her car back in the garage and I'm not going to buy another for driving since it would have to sit outside. Really enjoy reading all the threads and other's accomplishments in VMF. To me it was a no brainer to keep the original and sell the one I restored.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well when I was trying to figure out what I had I was just out of high school and didn't know anything. (still don't know much) Anyway, asked a guy at a Mustang shop near Oklahoma City and the guy acted like he hadn't seen many himself. Like I said was I just really curious. Mine is nothing special with code 8T01C1080** but just like to know what I have.
Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts