Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people I have a ? You all will thank I am nuts but... Here I go. My brother has a 1968 Mustang that he is redoing but he has no motor for it... I just pull out a 400cid from my 1979 F150 that ran great just needs to have new gaskits. My ? is could we make this motor work? I know I would need a different oil pan/motor mounts and stuff.. but could I get it too fit. Told you would thank I was nuts!! ::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I've never seen motor mounts for that swap.

The bellhousing pattern is the same as BBF.

The heads are reasonable but flow a little less than 2V Clevelands.

There are 1 or 2 aluminum intakes for the 351M/400....to use anything else special costly adapters are necessary.

If the timing chain is original or original design, the cam timing is retarded.

And when it's all done, it's pretty much the same size and weight as a 460.

·
Registered
9 Posts
plus you wouldn't want to use the trucks transmition because the gears will be to different for a muscle car!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
If your brother doesn't have much money to invest, one cheap way he could get a motor is to find a Ford Ltd or Crown vic or Mercury Marquis around 1980's. I found about ten in one day sitting in peoples yard and I went to every ones door and finally one sold me theirs for 100.00. I am using the AOD tranny. They came with 302 and some had 351w. good luck. You could find one with fuel injection and if you do, make sure you keep the electrical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks guys. I was just woundering if anyone had tried it or not. I will keep looking for him. Thanks

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
A 400 with factory exhaust manifolds will not fit between the shock towers. AFAIK nobody makes a header for this swap. You would either have to make custom headers (very difficult because the heads are practically touching the shock towers) or notch the shock towers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts