Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
So, I recently got my hands on 1968 mustang with a 302. It sat for a few years but I managed to get it started and running. Prior to starting it I changed out all the fluids, thermostat and water pump and a basic tune up. It ran decently.. but suddenly turned off after a few miles (didn’t over heat) all it does now is crank, won’t turn on.
things I’ve done,
New carb
Points and condenser
Cap n rotor and plug wires spark plugs
Starter solenoid
Ignition switch
Checked compression 150-160 all around
Tested for spark nice blue spark
Im kind of lost if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had gas
I have compression, spark, and fuel as for the timing. Brought it up to tdc on the compression stroke verified that the rotor is pointing cylinder number one. I just can’t get it to run. It’ll try to run
While the starter is engaged, I’ve tried to feather the gas to keep it going but it dies off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has gas 3-4 gallons
I have compression, spark, and fuel as for the timing. Brought it up to tdc on the compression stroke verified that the rotor is pointing cylinder number one. I just can’t get it to run. It’ll try to run
While the starter is engaged, I’ve tried to feather the gas to keep it going but it dies off.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
To run an engine needs:
Spark
Fuel
Timing.

Which does it not have?
To expand a bit further...
Correct air to fuel ratio...too lean or too rich will cause problems.
You forgot compression as part of the key 3.

And...they do have to happen at the correct time.

Compression, check
spark, check.
Going to assume timing is right because it did run.
Fuel may be suspect. wonder if something is off with the choke. Can you goose it enough to keep it running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dumped out the old fuel and used a compressor to blow out the fuel lines before starting it, changed the fuel filter as well. Has new fuel. I can get it to rev up while starting but it immediately dies. Carb is new with manual choke, I think the choke is good? I’m stuck on this one, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I had a new filter when I first got my car back on the road. It got clogged up after some miles and caused issues I was getting fuel but not the required PSI. I went through a few filters before all the crud was out of the lines. I have EFI but the point is new filter can get clogged, especially when a car has been sitting for some time.

·
Registered
'65 convertible, A code 289, CR 4 spd, factory front discs.
689 Posts
Run a jumper wire from the battery to the hot side of the coil. If the engine starts and keeps running, the resistor wire from the ignition switch to the coil is bad.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Look for power at the Coil in Run, not Start. If none, unplug the resistor wire from the ignition switch, and look for power from the switch at the bullet connector in Run.
Could be a bad switch.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe 289
8 Posts
To expand a bit further...
Correct air to fuel ratio...too lean or too rich will cause problems.
You forgot compression as part of the key 3.

And...they do have to happen at the correct time.

Compression, check
spark, check.
Going to assume timing is right because it did run.
Fuel may be suspect. wonder if something is off with the choke. Can you goose it enough to keep it running?
Could it be the Neutral Safety Switch?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Doubtful. The NSS is wired into the starter circuit, not the ignition circuit. I would say if the NSS is on the blink the engine would not crank.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Does it run or try to run with the key in the "start" position, but then die when you let it go back to the "run" position?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts