Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
restoration of 1968 convertible will include EFI for bored and stroked 351W with T5. looking for recommendations for complete overhaul from tank to induction. I'm not interested in cobbling together a bunch of different parts - I want a system that is going to go from box to bolt-on. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
there are a number of aftermarket systems that bolt on and run right out of the box these days, holley and edelbrock are teh two most notable systems today since they are the biggest. and there are systems that are throttle body based, so you can use that intake you bought for the carb to save money, and there are port injection systems as well. your choice.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
In my '66, I installed an Aeromotive Stealth II tank. With it's very quiet internal pump, filter and fuel level sender, It is about the most complete drop -in fuel delivery system you will find. I also installed their 10 micron inline filter and am extremely pleased with their components. Because I was retrofitting EFI onto my previously carbureted 302, I elected to go the Sniper throttle body route. If you haven't previously purchased an intake manifold, you have other options. I personally love the Sniper, but a friend has an Edelbrock Pro-Flo that he swears by.

Reactions: Tydpryd

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I’m going with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 system. No need to change the gas tank, as I’ll just need a return line. Thinking about using the Holley internal retrofit fuel pump, as my current sending unit isn’t at all accurate. Edelbrock has a fuel pump in their install kit, but I like the Holley one. It’s definitely more expensive than the Sniper, especially since I already have an intake, but I think the benefits of multi-port injection are worth the extra cost. Who knows, maybe I, wrong on this point.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I know that you are new to the forum, but when asking for help and/or opinions, it's always good to reply with a follow-up post to let the responding members know which direction you are leaning and another when you've completed your project.
Is the engine in the car and if so, is the top end complete? Will you be removing a carburetor and/or intake manifold to install your EFI? Fuel tank? Fuel lines?

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my '66, I installed an Aeromotive Stealth II tank. With it's very quiet internal pump, filter and fuel level sender, It is about the most complete drop -in fuel delivery system you will find. I also installed their 10 micron inline filter and am extremely pleased with their components. Because I was retrofitting EFI onto my previously carbureted 302, I elected to go the Sniper throttle body route. If you haven't previously purchased an intake manifold, you have other options. I personally love the Sniper, but a friend has an Edelbrock Pro-Flo that he swears by.
I have been researching this a bit as it's on my eventual to-do list on my newly purchased '66. Why did you choose the Aeromotive Stealth tank instead of the Holley tank? My PO installed a new tank so I don't know if I will try to retro the EFI or just buy a new EFI tank.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have been researching this a bit as it's on my eventual to-do list on my newly purchased '66. Why did you choose the Aeromotive Stealth tank instead of the Holley tank? My PO installed a new tank so I don't know if I will try to retro the EFI or just buy a new EFI tank.
I opted for the Aeromotive tank because I like the location of the fuel feed and return lines. The Holley tank has both lines on the top of the tank and requires you to perforate the wall of the trunk floor to pass the lines through. It also requires an additional vent line and all that goes with that. The Stealth II utilizes the vented gas cap.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Another vote for the Holley Sniper. I'd also look into using a different transmission than a stock T-5, if yours is in fact stock. A bored a stroked 351w should put out over 500hp/tq pretty easily and a stock T-5 is rated to 265hp/tq. I'd look into the Astro, G Force or other aftermarket T-5 kits, or even bump up to a Tremec TKO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I opted for the Aeromotive tank because I like the location of the fuel feed and return lines. The Holley tank has both lines on the top of the tank and requires you to perforate the wall of the trunk floor to pass the lines through. It also requires an additional vent line and all that goes with that. The Stealth II utilizes the vented gas cap.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I was an early adopter of the FiTech EFI TBI system. Many problems along the way as an early adopter but it works great now! Wish I could be compensated for helping them develop their product. If I were going FI at this time I would look into the sequential port injected EFI systems. Competition and cheap offshore labor has brought the price point under $2K!

Run away from the Spectra EFI gas tank! Cheaper up front cost will cost you much more in the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that you are new to the forum, but when asking for help and/or opinions, it's always good to reply with a follow-up post to let the responding members know which direction you are leaning and another when you've completed your project.
Is the engine in the car and if so, is the top end complete? Will you be removing a carburetor and/or intake manifold to install your EFI? Fuel tank? Fuel lines?
thanks Rhutt. Not leaning any particular direction yet as the post is less than 24 hours old. But, will definitely heed your advice and update accordingly. The replies are helpful. Engine is being built but hasn't yet begun. I do have a new fuel tank that is just a standard 16-gallon tank. Learning more about adapting it for a submersible pump as opposed to buying a new "EFI" tank.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I installed the Sniper on my 68 GT convertible last month. In two words, love it!
It's installed on a Ford Racing Boss 302 crate motor (340HP) with Air Gap manifold. I used the Holley in tank pump setup with stock tank, this has a built in bypass that lets you NOT need a return line. You do hear the pump run for a few second when you turn the key, but it then cycles off. Once the motor is started, you won't hear the pump at all. I hooked up to the stock hard line and used the efi hose for the short connections from tank and to the sniper. I ended up getting a bunch of the metro pack connectors to keep the wiring clean.
I had preordered and waited and waited... for the Aeromotive tank. It will go in my 70 convertible. If you wait until Christmas to buy, Holley will probably have the Sniper discounted AND you can then take advantage of the Summit Racing sales code to save even more. I'll do this for my next one, it's only a month away. Go for it!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm also using the Holley returnless in tank pump with my original fuel tank. The nice thing is that it comes with a hydra-mat so there's no fuel starvation issues in cornering and I've run it with only a gallon of gas in the tank with no problems. I bought the fitech efi unit before Holley came out with the sniper and after a bit of tuning it's been trouble free.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm looking to convert my 68 302 4barrel to EFI as well. Are the Holley Sniper kits tuneable (i.e. can you hook up a laptop and add/remove fuel/timing)?

I understand they are generally self-tuning but I would love to have the ability to tune it myself if possible.

EDIT: I see there are a lot of different types of Holley Sniper kits....how confusing

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The Sniper comes with a 3.5" touch screen LCD that is used for initial setup and for making all the changes to the system after the installation is complete. You can also remove the SD card and insert it into your computer for fine tuning using Holley's free software (assuming your computer/laptop is equipped with a slot to read it).

Reactions: 68J
1 - 16 of 16 Posts