Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a I6 mustang that has been converted all I have lacking to do is change the front to 5 lug disc breaks. I have disc brakes wildwood conversion up front I was wondering can I just change the hubs out to 5 lug and new rotors and reuse the calipers and lines? I have been told the spindles themselves are the same its a non power steering car I was told the linkages tie rods ect will be ok is this rite?

Ultimatley I want to run the tires I bought today on them they are 17x8 torque thrust wheels I know I may have clearance issues but thats another problem

Question is can I just put 5 lug hubs and rotors and use the calipers I have front rotors are a little over 11in diameter any info would be awesome thanks

Raybestos Brake 6006R OE Replacement Single | eBay

Ebay store with the hub and rotor in one will this work???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and yes the spings and coils have been upgraded for a v8 already when I did the rear swap I did these

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
I have a I6 mustang that has been converted all I have lacking to do is change the front to 5 lug disc brakes.
Question is can I just put 5 lug hubs and rotors and use the calipers I have front rotors are a little over 11in diameter any info would be awesome thanks
The 68 I6 and V8 drum brake cars had the same spindles.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
No, the 6006 will not work---Unless you have plenty of gas in your torch, lots of Bud Light, and friends to observe the confusion.

Your best to DEEP 6 the Wildwood, bolt on the Factory 67 Shelby style 4 Piston Disc Brakes, then Cruise with FACTORY Mustang Disc Brakes VS the Will Fit, If Brakes.

Yes, Bolt on those C6OA Spindles you have.

GO-Go-GOOOO Bartl!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one piston 68 brakes laying around I will use if I Cant use the wilwood caliper. I Cant imagine why the 6006r rotor and hub wouldnt work It fits a v8 68 with discs and I6 with discs all it is doing is changing fron 4 to 5 lug well i hope it fits I just bought 2 of them and what do you mean I have to use a torch to change a hub out? Your messing with me rite thanks for the input either way Travis

·
Registered
35,329 Posts
If you have C6OE front spindles, otherwise known as "drum spindles", the only factory bolt-on setup is the '65-67 Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston caliper setup. The '68+ single piston setup requires the C8OA spindle. I also think the offset is different between the 65-67 rotor and '68+ rotor meaning that you have to match the rotor to the spindle, caliper and caliper mount so the 6006 rotor would not work with the C6OE spindle, and vice-verse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check on it but I have disc brakes now so that would mean I should have the C80A spindles since it isnt drums and they used the same spindle for I6 and v8 that year. Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it Travis

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If you have C6OE front spindles, otherwise known as "drum spindles", the only factory bolt-on setup is the '65-67 Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston caliper setup. The '68+ single piston setup requires the C8OA spindle. I also think the offset is different between the 65-67 rotor and '68+ rotor meaning that you have to match the rotor to the spindle, caliper and caliper mount so the 6006 rotor would not work with the C6OE spindle, and vice-verse.
YES SIR!!!

The puzzling aspect is the Wildwood involvement. Haven't came close to figuring how these non stock parts can "bolt on" 68 single piston calipers?

As you stated, the C8OA spindle is totally different than the C6OA spindle.

What brackets do the Widwood use on that C6OA Spindle he has? As Stated before, enough Bud Light, Enough time, friends, and Pretty Girls, I could probably make all work---(In the 60's of Course).

·
Registered
830 Posts
I ran into this myself recently Dan. The "Bolt on" from Wilwood is not so direct with the C80A spindles. They have you tap out the 3 bolt holes used for the rear seal, and use those to mount the caliper bracket. The holes in the bracket are drilled to allow either the C80A 3 hold configuration, or for C60A 4 bolt configuration. This is done with extra holes on the mounting bracket. When I went down that route, I snapped my tap and gave up on the C80A and went back to the C60A since mine is a 67 anyhow. I wish I would have done that before I bought the wilwood kit and just gone with stock disk for the 67. The wilwood kit I bought contains the bolt sets for either of the 2 spindles, leaving one set of bolts as unused when you're done.

Along the way, I learned that there is such things as lettered drill bits. The C80A conversion requires a "Q" size drill bit.

All of this assuming I didn't totally miss the intent of the comment/question.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
BradAlbrecht

Thank You sir for sharing the ridiculous, Idiotic , Stupid, Nonsence that has to go into fitting these "Will Fit if" brakes. Can't believe Folks pay good money to be raped, pilfered by these companies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep they are C80A the stampings are on the underside so not to easy to see but someone has already done this or it came factory with disc brakes I dont know but Im just going back with the single caliper 68 style caliper and getting rid of wilwood calipers all I need now is my rotors and wheel bearings to get here. Im not really into making extra holes in things to make them work but those wilwood calipers are pretty I guess thanks for the help fellas I will post pics with new tires as soon as I can should take alot of the fender open area away with 17s i have 14s now thanks again Travis

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok now im second guessing myself the 8 looks like a 6 what do you guys think if its a 6 I crapped the bed here the single piston caliper lined up no problem on these rotors see pic anyway what do you think thanks Travis

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ps hey chock will you sell me just the things I need instead of whole setup or do you do that if it is the wrong spindle for the 6006r raybestos

Hub rotor bearings and if the single piston calipers wont fit calipers. I have new lines master cyl ect it is non power brake system once again that is if you do that thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Also, looking at your first picture, I would guess you have the C60A since the bolts go all the way through on the plate around the spindle. Thats probably why the Wilwood went on so easy. I assume the previous owner ran into what I did as well, and put 67 spindles on :)

More good data to learn about spindles on Dan's site:
Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Just fyi how the casting & part numbers listed:
I have a book that lists many of the major mustang components, some are listed by castings and/or part numbers. That said nothing in print will be 100% correct but its what I have:

SPINDLES For 67:
6 cyl stangs, listed as 6cyl, early 8cyl then mid year 8cyl cars.

............... PART #.............CASTING #

6cyl RH C3DZ-3105-A C3DA-3107A,C, or F
6cyl LH C3DZ-3106-A C3DA-3108-A,C, or F

8cyl RH C7OZ-3105-A C6OA-3107-D (for early 67)
8cyl LH C7OZ-3106-A C6OA-3108-D (for early 67)

8cyl RH C7OZ-3105-B C7OA-3107-A (mid-late 67)
8cyl LH C7OZ-3106-B C7OA-3108-A (mid-late)

with drum: RH C7OZ-3105-B C8OA-3107-D
with drum: LH C7OZ-3106-B C8OA-3108-D

with disc: RH C8OZ-3105-A C8OA-3107-B,C, or E
with disc: LH C8OZ-3106-A C8OA-3108-B,C,or E

Again I'd use as a guide not gospel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea im positive I jumped the gun here Ill have to send the 6006r rotors back and I cant use the single piston caliper from what im told. Freggin Fomoco

1 - 20 of 27 Posts