Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I had a 1969 351 Windsor for a while, got rid of it.. now I'm itching for a new pony. Anyways, I came across a barn car, 1968 Sprint (B), 289, Automatic, 78k original miles, original title, dealer invoices (the paint and everything looks like it's been sitting in a barn, either that or someone paid big bucks to get this thing redone which I doubt)... pretty much all original. I don't really talk to my buddies that were into cars anymore, and I'm not that familiar with the 68's, but she's a beauty... he's looking for $6500, I'm not sure if it's really worth it. Suggestions?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v422/broknrekord3/68 Stang/

Those are a few pictures he gave me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If it doesn't need anything and from the looks of the pics I'd say just a little detailing, sure it's worth that easily. Make sure the engine runs good and there's no hidden rust, go for it. Hmmm, can you say california special clone???

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Doesn't look bad for the $$. Has a few GT options. Is it a GT?

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Gingerstang said:
In '68 the Sprints were 6 bangers. Will you be satisfied with a 6 cylinder car? The price is not bad.
Sprint B's in 68 were V-8's, coming with lites in grille, E series tires, c-stripes, style wheels, wheel lip mouldings(I think) pop open gas cap.

If it's as good as you say, on top, make sure bottom ie floors, frame rails, etc are good. If so grab it!

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Looks good to me! Nice color combo and with the original documentation that makes it a keeper!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question; I've never dealt with rot, only surface rust... I'm not going to be able to work on this car until the summer.. is it going to get any worse if it's protected from the weather?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Rust never sleeps.

Treat it as early as possible before it starts to really take hold.

Keeping it in a dry environment will help slow any deterioration.

Get more picture, but from what I see, $6500 looks fairly well priced.

Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dully noted. I was planning on building a stand type thing out of scrap lumber and plywood (my dad is a carpenter.. not a big deal) and then put some extra carpet underneath, roll the car up, cover it with a tarp, and tack the tarp to the sides to the stand. Keep the moisture and hopefully animals out until the spring when I have the time/money to work on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FOUND IN A BARN* BOUGHT FROM ORIGANAL OWNER* NEVER TOUCHED RARE 1968 SPRINT (B)CAR, 289 CID, 73,500 ORIGANAL MILES, MOTOR HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED, EXEPT FOR A WATER & FUEL PUMP,IT HAS POWER DISC BRAKES, BUCKET SEATS,ORIGANAL PAINT, ORIGANAL SPARE TIRE,ORIGANAL RUGS AND MATS,POP OPEN GT STYLE GAS CAP, MOTORS RUNS GOOD, NO SMOKE, ALL BODY INSPECTION STAMPS ARE STILL VERY CLEARLY VISABLE, FULL DEALER ORDER INVOICES (SEE SCANS) , OWNERS WARRENTY CARD, ORIGANAL TITLE, I LEFT THE ORIGANAL DEALER STICKER ON THE BACK OF THE CAR, ALONG WITH THE 1968 COLLEGE STICKER, FLOORS AND TRUNK ARE IN GOOD SHAPE, FRAME AT THE FRONT HAS SOME ROT, SEE PICS. THIS IS A GREAT CAR TO RESTORE, ALL PAINT AND INTERIOR HAS NEVER BEEN TOUCHED, THE ORIGANAL FACTORY INSPECTION MARKINGS ARE EVEYWHERE, THIS A GREAT CAR TO DOCUMENT, VERY HARD TO FIND A CAR THAT HAS NOT BEEN CRASHED OR TRASHED, QUARTERS HAVE HAD SOME SMALL REPAIRS

That's the actual description of the car.. i dunno why I didn't post that originally. I'm going to go look at it Saturday, I'll let ya'll know how it goes...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Here is a little more information on the 'B' package 68 Sprint.
/Package "B" consisted of:

Eight-cylinder engine only, included the C-shaped side striping, wheel lip moldings, pop-open gas cap, but replaced the full wheel covers with argent painted Styled Steel wheels and added E70 Wide Oval white sidewall tires and grile-mounted fog lamps.

According to information gathered by J.R. Gillespie, other options, such as the Tutone (black striped) hood, the Interior Decor Group, and the hardtop vinyl roof could be combined with the Sprint Package. From Kevin Marti, author of Mustangs By The Numbers, there were 25,012 Sprint Package "A" Mustangs and 15,106 Sprint Package "B" Mustangs built in 1968.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Pour some water in that cowl.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You might reconsider spraying silicone around a car that may be painted someday. That stinkin' stuff won't come off completely easily. It'll give you the best fish eyes in paint you've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts