Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying my '68 coupe is going to be a total resto-mod. I want to build a GT/CS clone and not much of the car is going to remain original. The interior is Ivy Gold and I plan on changing to a black interior, so the column would need to be painted. I'm also going to install a rack and pinion set up and will need to cut the inner shaft to be able to install the R&P. After talking to a couple of R&P companies, they got me thinking about not keeping the tilt-away and just installing an aftermarket column. I like the idea of having the original tilt-away column because it's kind of a quirky option, but then again, it's kind of useless. The column is functional and complete, so I know I could get a decent amount of money for it, but I'm still kind of torn on removing it from the car.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are. I am totally restomoding my car. So my rare options I have (most didnt belong on my car anyway) are getting sold to raise funds for the project. I sold my std interior clock - original to my car because I like the round ones better even tho the std int clock is way rare - I wanted the $. My car is not anything real valuable in stock form. I dont want a garage full of unneeded parts.

I say take the cash! Just my oppinion!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Sell it! TO ME! :)

Seriously though, you'll sell it quick. Tilt-aways are fairly rare. Just wish I had the cash at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
May '85 Mustang Monthly article on tilt column shows 2.7% ( 9,320 ) of '68 Mustangs had this option -- Dean

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
I like the idea of having the original tilt-away column because it's kind of a quirky option, but then again, it's kind of useless. The column is functional and complete, so I know I could get a decent amount of money for it, but I'm still kind of torn on removing it from the car.
What makes you say it's useless? It's called "Tilt-Away" because it has two functions.

Tilt allows you to push on the turn signal switch and change the angle & height of the wheel.

Away pops the wheel up and right when you open the door to make it easier to get in and out of the car.

People are spending a lot of money on aftermarket columns now just to get the Tilt function.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Did the TBird share the same assembly? I can get my hands on a Tbird tilt away for cheap..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What makes you say it's useless? It's called "Tilt-Away" because it has two functions.

Tilt allows you to push on the turn signal switch and change the angle & height of the wheel.

Away pops the wheel up and right when you open the door to make it easier to get in and out of the car.

People are spending a lot of money on aftermarket columns now just to get the Tilt function.
The tilt is okay, but honestly, I set it at the angle it would be for a fixed column because it's the most comfortable. And with an aftermarket steering wheel, it's the only angle where the oil pressure and temperature gauges can be seen.

The away feature is fairly useless for me. If I were a large or extremely old guy, it'd probably be helpful. I'm young, 6' tall and 180lbs and can slide in and out of the car without needing to move the wheel at all.

Did the TBird share the same assembly? I can get my hands on a Tbird tilt away for cheap..
The T-Bird assembly was similar, but not the same. The Cougar and Mustang columns naturally interchange.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Thats definitely a nice part, too nice to cut and too nice to have sitting in the garage to sell with the car to the next owner. I would go aftermarket or put a fixed column in it. Also, I wouldnt dismiss the possibility of other donors. I just converted a 71 mercury tilt to 70 Mustang. There are a couple of guys that helped me and were very knowledgable. PM me for their info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts