Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i'm rebuilding a 1969 302 for my 69 coupe.I bought a 289 hipo and the guy i got it from lost the 2 main caps for the crank. the crank is new and the rods are new. i want to put the new crank and rods in my 302 which will give me the same stroke but i want new pistons to go with it all. my question is should i get 289 pistons or 302 pistions. the heads are for the 302. thanks for your help,jeff :chainsaw:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
289 & 302 replacement pistons are the same. BTW, 289 crank & rods in a 302 block ends up with a 289.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the block is a .030 over for the pistons and the heads will be ported and shaved .010-- is i use the 302 crank and the 289 rods i will have to put a spacer in for the heads. the 289 rods are .060 longer than the 302 rods.the reason i am changing these parts are the guy i got the car from was a ******* that drank beer and burnt the tires for his pals. the block had 3 freeze plugs out when i got it and one valve hit the top of the piston. the push rod was bent also. he must have ran it very hot. thanks for your help and please make any suggestions to help me out. thanks jeff

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
the block is a .030 over for the pistons and the heads will be ported and shaved .010-- is i use the 302 crank and the 289 rods i will have to put a spacer in for the heads. the 289 rods are .060 longer than the 302 rods.the reason i am changing these parts are the guy i got the car from was a ******* that drank beer and burnt the tires for his pals. the block had 3 freeze plugs out when i got it and one valve hit the top of the piston. the push rod was bent also. he must have ran it very hot. thanks for your help and please make any suggestions to help me out. thanks jeff
Spacers for the heads....NO!
the 289 rods go with the 289 crank..and do the 289 pistons. Unless you want to start playing around with a stroker setup.
So the basic answer to your question. Pick the compression you want o run..IE 9.5:1 ..cc the heads..compute the swept volume and the bore..this will give you your compression.
The rods and crank recondition them..use some hardened rod bolts and balance the bottom end. All should work well.
Next decide your cam spec's ..also valve size in the heads.
With all that check valve to pistion clearance. Normally pistons do not smack vlaves or heads if everything is put together right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts