Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this car... R code with drag pack. It is mostly complete missing the shaker and a few other parts but mostly all there. Numbers Match! It's been sitting for years. It's a project and the motor is locked up (won't turn by hand anyway). Body is fair. Interior fair. What is a matching numbers project car like this REALLY worth? How much should I offer for it? I don't want to "steal" it (well, maybe I do...) Sure don't want to price it too high anyway. What do you guys think would be a fair offer?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Not seeing it, you must subtract the value of the parts it needs, such as the shaker, which can cost anywhere from 900-1500, anything else its missing, I have seen cars like that go from 9,000 to 15,000.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Body is fair. Interior fair

Elaborate please...

If the car is sitting in the weeds somewhere and the owner doesn't look too sophisticated (lack of other vintage cars in various stages of restoration sitting around), I'd show up with a trailer and 2000.00 and see what he/she says. Be prepared to walk away, of course leaving your phone number in case they reconsider if they say no.

If the car is under cover and can be inspected thoroughly for structural/rust/body damage, I could see going up into the 8-9K range, depending on what is discovered and the completeness of the vehicle.

If the seller knows vintage Mustangs, I wouldn't bother unless you really want the project...likely the acceptable price will be at or near market value, which to me is too much...

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their asking $16k. I think he knows it's hard to find them with numbers matching anymore. If that's a fair price I have no problem. Just wanted to be sure since I really don't know the value of a 69 mach 1 R code/w drag pack with number matching. I've had 70 fastbacks and machs but none with numbers matching or 428 scj motors. Thanks for all the help everyone. The body is really pretty straight. It does have some rust around but I think most of it is surface. The interior isn't that bad. I think I remember one rip in the seats. Has light Teak woodgrain. Also 4 speed.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
If the engine ran so the drivetrain could be evaluated, I might consider it if I really wanted this particular model.

It all depends what your motivation is...

I'll bet the response to a cash offer of 9 will tell you whether this is worth pursuing. As someone who's been trying to sell his race car since joining the VMF back in 99, I can tell you from personal experience that lack of offers are why it's still sitting in my shop.

Unless you make an offer, you'll never know...

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
$16K is too much. And the matching numbers thing is pretty iffy, because you need to verify every major part. If the heads aren't the originals, for example, then it can't be called numbers matching except in the broadest sense of the phrase. 428's are expensive to rebuild and some of the missing items can't be found at almost any price. The shakers are now up in the $1800 - 2,000 range and the snorkels are nearly impossible to find.

This car sounds like it should be in the $10-12K range, max.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
$16 grand for that car is a burn. Keep looking and be patient.

Mine is "just" a Cobra Jet '69 Mach--not a SCJ--but she's all numbers matching (only thing I'm missing is the original exhaust manifolds), B&B rebuilt engine, 80,000 miles on the car, interior all new except seat covers that are only worn (not torn), NO rust Texas car, a little bondo in one quarter, paint is very acceptable. I paid $18K for her last December and had her shipped from Texas to Oregon. We're going to do the Pony Trails in a couple of weeks, which is probably going to be around 1,000 miles over the weekend for the car.

If you really want the car you've found, collect auctions for CJs that RUN but that aren't perfect (a couple CJs have been on there lately that look OK, run and drive, etc, but had reserves only around $12-$15...sorry, I didn't hold on to them on my watching page or I'd send them to you). Then show these "ads" to the sellers and make them an offer and leave if they don't take it. If they accept your offer--great! But if they don't, once they try to sell it and no one bites, they may call you back (that's how I picked up my T-Bird for only 1/3 of the asking price).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were in your position I would figure out a worst case scenerio for parts replacement (All SCJ internals, shaker/snorkel/s-tube/heat shield, bondo'd rear quarters, etc) and that will give you a rough idea of what the total "finished" value would be. I bought my 85% there "good" condition '69 scj rcode mach for 10k and after a couple years worth of research I figure it will cost me an additional 15-25K to finish it to my statisfaction. BTW it was recently appraised at 14k even though it only needs minor interior, minor body work, paint and a few rare parts (not shaker!) replacements to be cherry. For what I consider "fair" 16k seems high. And what if your matching numbers block is already .060" over and needs boring? I don't mean to sound too negative but just be cautious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts