Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1969 black Mach 1 interior paint...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FrankieThe69Kid 
#1 ·
So I have been looking for a more modern enamel paint for the blackish factory 69 Mach 1 interior. But I just can't settle on something with confidence on sheen and color or that people give good enough reviews for. Almost considered SEM 41023 Trim Black Euro Jet Satin. But I am giving that all up.

So I am looking at lacquer and going with a company that focuses on our year cars:

Scott Drake Lacquer Part # L-4464 (67-73 Black Charcoal).

Has anyone used this or similar? One complaint I have seen is the fan is small on it and might also avoid using it toward the bottom of the can and just use semi full ones. If used, does it match well and hold up well?

Here is my plan:

- Wash panel with dawn, perhaps mild scuff pad (I know previous owner was crazy with the Armor-all 3 decades back)
- Clean with denatured alcohol
- scuff it
- clean again with denatured alcohol
- Should I primer? I am thinking so and would need to be for a lacquer. Is there something people are using with good results?
- Then Paint

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I Used SEM Trim Black for base coat (light) and then the Dark Charcoal Metallic lacquer from NPD with several light coats to keep the textured panels crisp.

As far a prep, Armor-all takes some effort to remove. I suggest Ajax Cleanser, water, and a soft/medium brush, multiple applications until you are sure all contaminants are gone. Then use the maroon colored 3M sanding pads to scuff up all surfaces receiving new paint. lastly, an automotive grade wax and oil remover should complete your prep. Light paint coats with a bit of flash time between coats will avoid runs and give the look which is as close to stock as I have found from a rattle can.

#4 ·
Denatured alcohol is not going to remove armor-all. I'd recommend a solvent like "AutoPrep" or "PrepSol"... or Dupont 3812 Enamel Reducer.
You'll also have to be careful using Lacquer over surfaces painted already with enamel. The paint underneath will wrinkle.
I used VHT Chassis and Roll Bar paint on my interior. Nice fan. Nice even finish, and just the right sheen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.