Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have figured out that the blue/red wire coming off of the light switch on the '69 goes to the fuse box before heading out to the tri-branch that feeds the instrument panel lights, radio light, console light and clock lights. I have 13 vdc (+-) coming off of the light switch going to the fuse box, it does not make it to the branch off. Now before we call me a DA (which has been known to happen on occasion :grin2:), I have checked the fuses (had to replace one that I don't think fuses this wire). All of the fuses ohm correctly.

Does this wire from the light switch feed into the fuse and come straight out the other side of the fuse and go to the branch or is there something going on with the "plug-in" portion on the back of the fuse box?

I ran out of time while testing this evening...

Allen

·
Registered
34,283 Posts
The power goes from the headlight switch to the fuse box then back to the rheostat on the headlight switch then out to the instrument lights.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I thought the dash lighting power went from the fuse panel through the fuse to the headlight switch rheostat then out to the bulbs...

I will be following this one for Midlife's reply.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The power goes from the headlight switch to the fuse box then back to the rheostat on the headlight switch then out to the instrument lights.
From what I can tell, it leaves the rheostat THEN goes to the fuse box but I will check more this evening.

Allen

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plug in on the back of the fuse box must have something to do with the connection for the lights because I found a tab that was bent over not allowing the fuse box to "seat" completely. The lights (that will work) now work.

In full disclosure, my light switch is bad (the portion that feeds off of the rheostat is corroded) so I had a jumper wire in there to get juice to the blue/red wire that feeds to the fuse box.

Again, I am sure that the ble/red off of the light switch FEEDS the fuse box and then the wire going to the "branch" come out of the fuse box...

Thanks for the help,

Allen

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to bring this full circle in case anyone in the future is researching, I found a diagram on average joe restoration while looking for the speaker hook-up on the 8 track radio. It's for a '67 but is applicable to the '69. It clearly shows wire #19 (blue/red) leaving the light switch, going to the fuse box (it's the short fuse) and then going to the radio light and instrument cluster #19C (it also shows 19A and 19B but they aren't applicable to the circuit being shown).

http://averagejoerestoration.com/resources/mustang-wiring-and-vacuum-diagrams/1967-mustang-wiring-and-vacuum-diagrams/67radio1.jpg

Allen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts