Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 69 Boss 302, I am searching for a C9ZZ-1102-A rotor for my car. I would like a set, but need at lease one rotor. Apparently they are no longer making replacements. I have thought of pressing the hub off my assembly and getting a new two piece rotor and swapping the hubs but I don't know what part number to get so that the hub fits in the disc correctly in both diameter and height, the stud openings are the same diameter, and if possible where to get the proper replacement studs. Has anyone done this, or do you have a suggestion?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yep, 69 Shelby's got the "big" suspension, same as the Boss, and I can not find rotors any more either. I got a set from SSBC but they were not correct and I had to find the inner and outer bearings to make them work. SSBC is now out of business as well.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
After the Dallas Mustang bankruptcy auction I saw a set of those rotors, new SSBC I think, on Craigslist that came from there. He was asking $1500, I thought CRAZY! But maybe not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For a 69 Boss 302, I am searching for a C9ZZ-1102-A rotor for my car. I would like a set, but need at lease one rotor. Apparently they are no longer making replacements. I have thought of pressing the hub off my assembly and getting a new two piece rotor and swapping the hubs but I don't know what part number to get so that the hub fits in the disc correctly in both diameter and height, the stud openings are the same diameter, and if possible where to get the proper replacement studs. Has anyone done this, or do you have a suggestion?
I am having the same problem finding rotors for my 69 Boss 302. Ford made 3 different rotors not counting the Boss 429's and all 3 require different size bearings. NPD and Branda co-purchased 600 rotors around 2006 but both have sold out and don't want to invest in another run because they are rare and only 69 Boss 302's and Shelby's use them. I have one original used rotor and found a 1970-73 rotor on my other side. Don't know how the wheel stayed on. If someone made a special bearing to adapt the 1970 Boss 302 rotor to the 69 Spindle, we would be all set. The bearings are only fractions of an inch different. Contact me if anyone has a lead but don't believe places like ebay. They are selling the 70 Boss rotor as a 69 Boss rotor.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
They did not. Only the B2's and the Mach 1's that were destined to become Shelby's got the big suspension. Early Shelby's did not. The big suspension was added to the Shelby's as they got 15" rims. Along with the spindles and rotors, the tie rod's also got replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They did not. Only the B2's and the Mach 1's that were destined to become Shelby's got the big suspension. Early Shelby's did not. The big suspension was added to the Shelby's as they got 15" rims. Along with the spindles and rotors, the tie rod's also got replaced.
I understand that the Boss 302'
Well if I was rich like Bob Perkins, I could afford to pay $8500 for 2 rotors to put on a street car.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
So what the heck do Boss 302 and Shelby folks do when they need new rotors? I can't imagine anyone paying $1500 for a pair of rotors, let alone $8500!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And one more thing, the part #'s are not for the Shelby or Boss.

DESCRIPTION

SPINDLE, Front Wheel, RH, repro,

Manufacturer Reference #'s: C5ZZ-3105-R, C5ZZ-3105-D, C9ZZ-3105-C
Vehicle Applications
1965-1966 MUSTANG 260, 289, ALSO 6 CYLíS CONVERTING TO 5 LUG
1965-1965 FALCON 260, 289

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And one more thing, the part #'s are not for the Shelby or Boss.

DESCRIPTION

SPINDLE, Front Wheel, RH, repro,

Manufacturer Reference #'s: C5ZZ-3105-R, C5ZZ-3105-D, C9ZZ-3105-C
Vehicle Applications
1965-1966 MUSTANG 260, 289, ALSO 6 CYLíS CONVERTING TO 5 LUG
1965-1965 FALCON 260, 289

And I might be wrong (thanks Google). the -C spindles are not for the Boss/Shelby, but the -A might be. But these numbers are not in the thread over on Concours Mustang.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe $8500 is appropriate for a NOS Museum piece that is going to bring $400,000 at a Barrett Jackson Auction. But it is not practical for us hobby enthusiasts who want to drive their cars that are only worth $50,000-$70,000. The thing is there is tooling to remake the rotors, but the manufacturer is too greedy to bother with it. That's why everything is made in China now. Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe $8500 is appropriate for a NOS Museum piece that is going to bring $400,000 at a Barrett Jackson Auction. But it is not practical for us hobby enthusiasts who want to drive their cars that are only worth $50,000-$70,000. The thing is there is tooling to remake the rotors, but the manufacturer is too greedy to bother with it. That's why everything is made in China now. Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox.
You can go aftermarket conversion like Wildwood, which is expensive too. But at what point does it stop being a Boss with all these modifications? The Boss 302 registry doesn't want their sport tarnished with unoriginal cars and the value will suffer too.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It has been pointed out to me, that even though the boxes in the eBay ad state "C9ZZ", the part number on the displayed spindle is a "D0Z" part. So the actual parts would not be correct for a 69 car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perkins has the part # on the boxes but he also shows the casting number in the pictures. His spindles match mine. Ford casting numbers don't necessarily match the actual part #. I think the casting number has more to do with the date that the part was engineered. That is why you have some 1st generation mustang part #'s that were used on Mustang II's and early sixties castings from Fairlanes and Falcons showing up on Mustangs. It also gave Ford the ability to reuse leftover parts and superseed them with a replacement part # by just changing the last letter. Does anyone have a greater knowledge of this procedure?

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts