Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just found a 69boss 302 in a building that has been setting for probably 20-25 years. Hasn't been getting rained on or anything it's been in dry storage. Anyway it has all it's original drivetrain in it and all interior. Car is in nice shape. Color is blue. Not sure about all the options waiting on a marti. Overall very nice, very complete car. What should I pay for this car? It needs restored but the car is not bad at all. I think the guy wants around 25000.00 for it. Is that too high? Please let me know.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
For a complete, legit BOSS 302? That would be a very good deal.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
$25k might not be too bad, if all of the key parts are there. Distributors, carbs, rev limiters, etc., each cost roughly a k, so if they're missing, it adds to the resto cost. The market hasn't ben that high of late, but with the intro in the new Boss 302, prices seem to be going back up.
The second biggest factor is the condition of the metal, is there any rust? Check the fender apron underneath the battery, the torque boxes and floor pans, and the trunk drops. Rust again cuts the price.
On the flip side, if the car is very nice as is, and is all original, that can push the price up, as the car can be kept original, or at least you have the original condition to reference if you restore it.
You can also post the question on the board over at The BOSS 302 Registry, more people with recent buying experience to know where the market prices are.

Carl

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the actual condition but if not too rusty, all complete and has correct or numbers engine and drivetrain I would say that would be a GREAT deal. Even in todays market, arent real documented B2 cars still bringing 50-70k?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I would say any complete, running BOSS 302 would be worth more than $25k. If it's clean enough to look good on cruise night, twice that.

Now, how about some photos? Don't worry, we can tell plenty even if it's really dirty.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You lucky son of a gun, if you don't buy that car, PLEASE let me know. I'll pay you a finders fee! That's a great price for a boss, I've been looking everywhere for one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should know more about the car possibly this week. It is blue with the black boss 302 stripe and looked pretty dang good, but I didnt get to check it out thoroughly the first time i saw it. I do know it was all complete and that the motor didnt look like it had single part taken off of it, but I will have the check numbers and stuff first on the trans, rearend, and motor, and all date codes.

As far as the price, im sure that is fair, but I am not 100% certain is that is the final asking price, could be more, could be less.

Ill keep you guys posted. Not sure if my wife will let me keep it either, as i also have a 67 fastback 427 side oiler project in the garage, so she may say hell no.

Ill keep the situation posted on here, as I hope to know something sometime this week.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Sounds like a REAL fair price given what we know and no pics. If the car would clean up to be decent looking 20footer and made driveable, I would think the car would be worth mid 30's pretty easily. Good luck, chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
25k for a true Boss 302 is a great deal, depending on the condition, and whether or not the car has a true Boss 302 engine in it or not.
Can you verify that the motor is actually a Boss mill or not?
Photos are worth a thousand words, could give a much better idea of value with some photos...
Also, in your shoes, I would post a similar question over on the Boss 302 registry http://www.boss302.com
Best of luck too you, sounds like an exciting proposition...

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
you can get upside down on any car, be very critical on the rust issue. Even if their is no rust on the frame rails and undercarriage, the cowl area is likely suspect until proven otherwise. Start adding things up. The exhaust system, the suspension components, the fuel system, the brake system are all likely to need replacement or at least expensive reconditioning. Then theres the drivetrain, even if it's not locked up it is likely to be worn out.

There are very few cars that prove to be cheap after all the restoration is totaled up. It's almost always cost effective to buy a car already ready to go.

you can get this Boss 302 on ebay for under $40,000. It appears to be in fair condition & probably a better deal than a $25,000 car that needs alot.

Ford : Mustang - eBay (item 160552398162 end time Mar-13-11 14:00:00 PDT)

Boss 302 for sale in WI grabber Green 1970

here's another one on the Boss 302 website for $44,000

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=50440.0

again, can you be certain the $25,000 car can be done for under $20,000 including labor? if you have doubts get a second opinion from a professional.

Z.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I do know it was all complete and that the motor didnt look like it had single part taken off of it, but I will have the check numbers and stuff first on the trans, rearend, and motor, and all date codes.
If the air cleaner, heat riser, shield, and exhaust manifolds are still there, that puts you well over a thousand dollars ahead on your restoration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts