Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Convertible with 5.0 HO motor, AOD Transmission
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there!

Bought our first classic mustang on Thursday - 1969 Convertible that's been converted to a 5.0 HO motor with an AOD trans. Looking forward to sorting it out with the help of all you! Looking forward to working on this build and keeping this thread updated along the way!

What I know so far -
  • Most electrical works as it should (horns, all exterior lights and signals work, most of interior electrical works) but needs to have the dash lights sorted out (only light that works is the courtesy light on ignition switch) as well as the oil pressure gauge.
  • Motor overheats quickly but runs and drives well until that happens.
  • Brakes are very soft and need gone thru.
  • Power steering is shot.
  • Floors and frame rails are all really solid
  • Will be doing paint and interior once my wife decides on colors (this car is for her - hence the attraction to the more modern EFI motor)
    • She's between Acapulco Blue, Royal Maroon and Candy Apple Red - and i think she's leaning towards saddle for the interior.

Reactions: DonP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some updates: I sorted out the cooling issues (I think) by flushing the cooling system, and ensuring the system is totally pressurizing now. The fluid I pulled out was dark orange/brown so was certainly in need of flushing. I also imagine there was air in the lines so after flushing, burping and ensuring it totally pressurizes, it normalized yesterday during idle. The new behavior is that the motor warmed up, at 195 the thermostat opened (judged by the fan kicking on which is set to turn on at 195 also), and then the temp dropped back down into a normal operating range as coolant began flowing and stayed within that range.

For what it's worth, I plan on flushing/replacing all fluids this week/weekend so I have a fresh baseline of when all were filled new.

I also was provided a great article by @BlakeTX that will help me backtrace all of the steps taken by the previous owner on the engine swap. The article is a complete tutorial on doing the 5.0 swap and is located here: EFI 5.0 install I need to drill the boss for a front dip stick now as well as begin the clean-up of the engine aesthetics. I plan on painting the block Ford blue, doing a brushed raw metal look on the valve covers and intake (covered in clear for a lasting clean look) and of course cleaning up all the wiring. I'll also replace all hoses with factory looking rubber, rather than these corrugated chrome jobs on there now. Special thanks to @BradAlbrecht for hooking me up with some OEM valve covers for this motor.

I have a new speedometer cable on order as well as a OEM style oil pressure sending unit (currently have a mechanical gauge on there showing ~50 lbs of oil pressure at idle).

I need to sort the brakes out still (which work but are soft). I''ll start with the basics (proper adjustment of the rear drums, ensuring the front disk pads are good, and bleeding/flushing the brake fluid/lines. If that doesn't sort it, I'll need to look into some hardware replacement (i.e. wheel cylinders in the back and master cylinder condition). Question - is there a push-rod adjustment on these cars for the pedal and master cylinder? I assume there is a measurement of pedal free play before it engages the master cylinder.

Finally I have the power steering to go thru. The slave cylinder and power steering control valve are visibly leaking and the pump has been dry since I've seen the car (I imagine it's shot from being run dry?). If I'm not concerned about weight, what's the prevailing theory on keeping power steering versus doing a Borgeson manual steering converter? Pros & cons? I simply want the most driver friendly and reliable system for the car.

More updated pics to come this week/weekend!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Borgeson is $1000, plus the cost of replacing the center link to a manual. Having Chock rebuild your original PS is under $500 with shipping both directions. In the end, you could probably sell your original PS, plus that 16:1 steering box to close the gap about $150. I have done both and probably prefer the Borgeson for simplicity, plus I think it has a slightly better gearing. The main issue is knowing what to buy when things need replacing, but I think you are well down that path already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update:

Brakes are now sorted, flushed fluid and removed all the air for a much firmer pedal. I think new pads/shoes and turned rotors/drums would really top it all off. Although I’ve read about the inadequacies of Mustang brakes?

On the brake front however, I need to reassemble the emergency brake system. I have the pedal and release in the car and the cables with ball ends coming out of the rear drums. The rest seems all missing tho. Question: is there an easily read schematic of the emergency brake system somewhere?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Borgeson is $1000, plus the cost of replacing the center link to a manual. Having Chock rebuild your original PS is under $500 with shipping both directions. In the end, you could probably sell your original PS, plus that 16:1 steering box to close the gap about $150. I have done both and probably prefer the Borgeson for simplicity, plus I think it has a slightly better gearing. The main issue is knowing what to buy when things need replacing, but I think you are well down that path already.
I was thinking about the $150 Borgeson power to manual adapter located here:Borgeson Adapter Manual Steering 1967-1970

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why when you can get a center link for $50 less and remove all of the power steering parts?
So I can pull out the control valve and slave cylinder, get the center link from a manual steering car and be good to go? I assume I need to install a steering damper in place of the slave cylinder also.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So I can pull out the control valve and slave cylinder, get the center link from a manual steering car and be good to go? I assume I need to install a steering damper in place of the slave cylinder also.
This is my Borgeson. It uses a manual steering configuration, just replacing the gear box. Hoses to go the gear box directly. Everything else is for manual. Just center link, idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my Borgeson. It uses a manual steering configuration, just replacing the gear box. Hoses to go the gear box directly. Everything else is for manual. Just center link, idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rods.
Beautiful setup! The $500 spent now may just be the way to go to simplify the whole thing and upgrade it along the way.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My before and after with Chock's rebuilt PS on my 67 convertible. Very happy with this too. I just did this one last month. I didn't touch the pump on this one. The only reason I will in the future is because the engine is a 70+ so the pump and bracket are wrong, clocking the pump fill at a bad angle, and requiring an adapter to hook into the 67 hose.

Ignore the missing pitman arm. I wasn't quite done yet in that pic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Picked up a windshield today and temporarily installed it with a few dabs of U-418 windshield adhesive. This will be nice for test drives while I finish out the mechanical, electrical and other elements before continuing on to interior and paint.

I also got the power steering control valve and slave cylinder cleaned up to see where they were leaking and it turns out there were a couple loose lines. Hopefully I have that sorted (it’s working well right now)!

Got my oil pressure gauge working with a new sensor (all gauges now work, just need to get the gauge lights working now). Broke a speedo cable and replaced that also.

The brakes are back to being spongy this, so I need to work on bleeding them more.

I also spent a few hours the other night starting to work thru wire-tucking in the engine compartment.

New NOS hood scoop is coming in the mail along with the following from a donor 69 convertible: grill/hood trim, some convertible top components, passenger side rear fender scoop, front marker lights, stock height coils from a V8 car, & seat belts. Excited to see this thing coming together before we enjoy for a few weeks then start disassembly for paint!

Attachments

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good work done lately. Color sanded the body to bring back some shine. Not done yet but well on our way. Also returned the hood to black and setup the NOS hood scoop I scored. Color matched the sides scoops also. Not pictured is the restored OEM hood/grill trim along with some interior top bits (clamp the holds the top closed as well as the clip that holds the top down on the drivers side).

before

after

before
After

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been busy at work on this car over the past few weeks, figuring stuff out, cleaning things up and overall improving the drivability!

First, I returned the front end to stock height, by removing the 6 cylinder springs someone cut a coil out of and installed stock V8 coil springs.

Next, I've been working in the engine bay - I rebuilt the alternator (complete with cleaning and painting), cleaned up all brackets, removed the A/C, and of course changed the serpentine belt. I also changed the valve covers back to stock, replaced the awful chrome radiator hoses and overall made some progress on cleaning up the engine bay.

IMG_0769.jpg

Now (while I have the cooling system emptied, I'm replacing the heater core and tidying up the heater box assembly. Think this is an OEM heater core?

Also, what's missing from this assembly? This is a no a/c car, but I have the circular vents in the dash, but they're not connected to anything... Is there a plenum that would allow hoses to route to these?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been finalizing some more details on the car over the past few weeks. I finished up the heater box restoration and heater core replacement, installed a restrictor in the supply heater hose to avoid blowing another heater core (common in the 5.0 swap as I understand it), and got my proper plenum installed for the floor heat.

I also discovered that the P.O. who did the motor swap, used some janky method of closing up the dip-stick hold and it started spewing oil all over my driver's side header... I was able to plug that with a 3/8" freeze plug from Napa.

Some other progress has been replacing the headlight switch to restore function to the dash lights - a really simple task! I also installed a radio from Custom AutoSound and a dual voice coil speaker in the dash. It's a solid radio, but not a powerful system (half the fun of these cars is hearing them right?!)

I also started building the center console. I mocked up the side panels in cardboard then cut them out of wood. I now have masking tape mocking out the top panel to include cup holders and a coin tray. (ignore the missing driver's seat back - it's been reinstalled)

Finally, I had to capture a photo-opp with our '72 Super Beetle I restored a few years ago.

Attachments

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was able to get my foxbody pump working with my 69 PS setup.

I used an adapter fitting in the PS pump, the PS Control Valve and then Russel Power flex hose.

let me know if you have any specific questions or a specific pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts