welcome. I'll be watching
Well first of all welcome to the Rusty Mustang Club. Many of us have bought these cars while wearing "Every Day is A Sunny Day Glasses" . Only to find out later that our pride and joy had only seen rainy days for it's entire life! Upon stripping and blasting my car I realized it was far worse than I thought and it sat for almost 15 years while I was busy with life. Many times I thought about scrapping it but didn't. Two years ago I attacked it head on and replaced a lot of metal since then. Fortunately metal for these cars is dirt cheap for the most part so spending a few bucks gives you lots of work. When the budget is not there for a few months there is always lots of pieces to remove and clean up and paint and put away for assembly later on. As for the welding try to get a quality welder, get a pile of scrap metal, check out some u-tube sites and just start welding. Then try to break the welds apart to check for penetration/strength. This site has been a big help to me with my build so utilize the search area. Best of luck with the project.Hi All,
As mentioned in the New Member section, I recently bought a 1969 Convertible, 351w, FMX, Candy Apple Red paint, Deluxe Black interior, 2.75 rear axle.
My plan is to restore it so it is a driver, not a daily driver but also not a car show quality restoration. The only real major change I plan on making is adding a shaker.
When I first got it home (was a 10 hour drive to pick it up), I immediately took it to a shop to have them put new brakes on it. The main reason for this is that our driveway is such that it would have been impossible to get it in my shop using the dolly I used to pick it up. The driveway is relatively steep. Anyway, after a week at the shop they finally got a look at it and found that there was too much frame rust for them to feel comfortable putting brakes on and letting me drive it home. We had it loaded on a flat bed and they were able to roll it into my shop.
When I bought it I was aware of some of the rust issues but not all of them, but I am still happy with my purchase. No regrets.
Anyway, when I was able to get a good look at it I was able to make my initial accounting of what needed to be fixed on the frame. The front passenger frame rail has rust through the bottom of it, the driver side also has some small spots so I got replacement patches for those. The rear frame rails where the back of the leaf springs mount are also rusted, the driver side is pretty bad. I got replacements for both sides as well as the trunk floors as those had some damage.
The front passenger fender apron is rusted, but this is fairly common. The rear driver side fender apron also needs to be replace. I am guessing it had the usual rust on the top as someone in the past just cut out the bad part on both the front and rear apron on that side and welded in a brace across the whole side. Also on the rear driver side apron one of the hinge bolt holes was ripped through.
Full disclosure before I go any further – I have never done anything like this before (welding and such) but I will enjoy the challenge and learning.
After I get the aprons and frame rails repaired, I can move on to rebuilding the front suspension (will do the rear suspension after I fix that as I already purchased the springs and bushings).
I have to budget my spending so I cant do everything as I go. I’ll have to do some parts and then wait a bit before I can get what I need to do the next part.
The floors were replaced by someone previously but I will need to go back and finish the welds, right now some of the frame rails under the car are just tacked in.
I started working on the front passenger fender apron but I had to pause on that as after I got it out I noticed a nice crack in the shock tower where it meets the frame rail, so I will need to get a replacement for that, and probably the driver side while I am at it. I already got all four fender aprons. I was planning on just using parts of the others for patching but if I have to replace the shock towers anyway I might as well replace everything.
After I found the issue with the shock towers I decided to move to the rear frame rails. I have the driver side trunk floor removed for the most part. I just need to get the drop down part out and clean up the surfaces. Then I can cut out the old frame rail and weld in the new one, then put the floor back in.
I’ll post pictures as I go and any input and suggestions are greatly welcome!