Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help tunning my 1969 302 coupe's stock 2 barrel carburetor. I've got my timing set to 6 BTC, and .017 in my points (i'm not even sure if thats right). Im trying to get more performance out of it.

Does anyone know where i should start with my tunning, and what everything should be set at?

Its a stock 302, c4 automatic, has a K&N filter, open PCV system (14"x3" air filter).

Thanks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
its it a vac advance distributor?
whats the total advance on it?
do you have a vac. gauge to use while tuning?

what do you mean by open pcv? is it just open breathers? seal it back up, put a valve in the valve cover and run it to an unregulated vac source on the carb or intake.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a vac advance distributor.

I don't know the total advance on it, and i don't have a vac gauge (Thats my problem, i don't know what i need to do tunning, or how to do it, which is why i need help :) )

By open PCV, i mean that the passenger side is connected (passenger side valve cover has the hose running into the carburetor). The drivers side, however, just has a breather cap on the valve cover. I did this to fit the 14" air cleaner, and straight monte carlo bar.

·
Registered
583 Posts
well some tuning things you can do is of corse the mixture on the carb. which is you turn both mixture screws all the way to the right and then start car. if car doesnt start turn to the left. keep decreasing them until engine sounds better and your engine revs a little higher even though the idle is the same. and other things to do is cleaning. if it is a project car and you dont depend on it to drive. then take the carb off and dissasembe it with the rubbers off and throw it in a dip tank for however long you want to keep it in their. If you depend on it get a friend to help you, give him a can of carb cleaner start the car with you iside let it idle then tell him to spray the carb cleaner down the jets. Now this is the crucial part the car is going to want to die RIGHT BEFORE IT DIES give pump throtle slightly so that it seems like your engine just suffocated for a second. this will cause the barrels to suck the carb cleaner through by having the throttle open at the last second and will clean it up. but still i would incorage you to clean it in a diptank and dip the 2 jets seperately. i did it bolth ways except that i did the carb cleaner before the rebuild and the dip tank while i was rebuilding engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts