Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded the 51 yr old wiring with new American auto wire kit complete set front, rear, dash. I have engine running and charging, horn, wipers, turn signals, 4 ways, backup lights, brake lights, headlights hi/low, all work good. Side marker and parking lights front and rear do not work.

I have checked all fuses many times, I also checked for shorts using removal of positive terminal test light and fuse removal method. I have a brand new headlight switch that came with kit. I have tested for power at the headlight switch and have none going to front and rear parking light/marker light wire. 6 terminal switch 3 are hot 3 are dead, parking light terminal at switch is dead. Does it receive its power from one of the other 3 hot wires? 3 brown wires, one from rear, one from front and one to the DIM terminal on the Dakota digital main box for dash light dimming, the wire going to the DIM terminal is not hot. AAW upgrade does not use a voltage regulator on passenger side fender, I am using a NPD one wire upgrade box attached to alternator with exciter wire attached.
Grounds for side marker lights all checked and connected to same point as tail lights and parking lights.

Appreciate the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AAW tech rep suggested bypassing the light switch and directly power the parking light terminal on the harness from the main power feed. Brown wire to red main. I used a non fused larger gauge wire to do this and the tail light did come on very dimly but not side marker lights and after 10 sec harness started smoking. Tested all other systems no damage. I’m now fresh out of ideas...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red, orange, blue are hot wires, 3 brown are parking/side marker lights front and rear, yellow hot low beam, green hot high beam.
The brown terminal is not hot in any of the two headlight switch positions. Neither old switch or new switch work the parking lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Red, orange, blue are hot wires, 3 brown are parking/side marker lights front and rear, yellow hot low beam, green hot high beam.
The brown terminal is not hot in any of the two headlight switch positions. Neither old switch or new switch work the parking lights.
Is it possible that a dead short somewhere is tripping the internal circuit breaker in the headlamp switch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, i can hear and feel the breaker tripping when i pull the switch into the first position (parking lights) it appears to be a dead short

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solution and Issue fixed. The new stock replacement parking lights have three wires, black, brown, blue (lt, dk) Black has always represented ground in most every situation, In this case that assumption was wrong (there was no wire diagram indicating which wire went where it came with stock connectors. The connectors do not mate up with AAW wire harness you have to cut the connectors off or mate them with the old female connectors and splice into the AAW config. The black wire is the low filament and gets it power from the brown wire. I had the black wire connected to ground.
Cheers ? I guess a novice can re-wire a whole car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts