Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After gluing the side windows into their holders on my 69 FB project it seems that the placement and alignment of the windows in the holders requires more precision than I had originally figured. Once I put a window in the door it doesn't appear to align quite well enough with the roof rail seal etc. Can anyone give me measurements for the placement and/or help with alignment of the windows in the holders? This sure would be easier with 70 bolt-in setup, but my budget demands that I try to avoid it. Thanks!!!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Hi,
The way I did it with the glue in windows was I put in the glue in the track & set the window & then rolled up the window & let it stay in the up position until the glue dried. Came out right with the adjustment every time. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That is how I did my 69 convertible too. My thoughts then were to shut the door and roll it up rather than roll it up then shut the door. I noticed that at full up position the top the window seemed to move outward at the top a bit, so I did not roll it up tight. Just tight enough to insure the alignment. Kind of a pain to crawl out and walk around the car for nearly every little tweak. Still tight after 15 years or so.
Bruce

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is one of those ideas that I suppose should have seemed obvious enough but didn't occur to me... thanks for the clues.

I noticed during disassembly that the windows had been sitting on a base of the glue in the holders which looked to be at least 1/4" high. Any need to space the windows up from the bottom of the channel, or did you guys just sit them all the way down into the channel? Thanks again, I'm sure you guys have the right idea.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
With 3 '69's at our house, I've glued in more glass than I care to remember and tried it every way possible. To me, the simplest is to just glue the brackets on, let them dry, then install the glass.

The problem with the "roll up the window and let it dry" method is that it's extremely difficult to keep the glass all the way down into both brackets. Often one of the brackets (usually the front) will "tilt" and it's difficult to tell until you roll the window back down.

When glueing th brackets on, there should be exactly 1/4" of glass extending past the brackets, on both the front and back bracket.

And because I have glued in so many '69 windows, all 3 of ours have now been converted to '70 bolt in glass, and I'm now done glueing them in. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've always found it to be 3/4" of an inch from the outer edges of the glass to the brackets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts