Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am restoring a 69 mach 1 390 4-speed. Both front fender extensions have some need of repair. No tabs are broken. HAs anyone had any success repairing these or know someone who does this? I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help. I am sure I will asking several other questions as the restoration progresses.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Depends on how bad the damage is. Are you prepared to do some body work? Are you confident you can tackle possible welding, patching, sanding, using bondo, fillers and painting the piece? Are you trying to keep the car entirely original with body panels? If not find a cheap used unit on ebay and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Exactly what needs repair? Usually it's the tabs that break off, but since yours are still there is the damage a dent or something more insidious? (you wont be able to weld that piece).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right, the extensions are made out of pot metal and won't take a weld. You could still repair them with fiberglass or bondo....but like i said, just find a cheap ebay set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if any of the high quality fiberglass replacements are a good fit. Had any experience with them? Mine has a pretty signifcant crack along the front lower edge. I saw a demo of a product called muggy weld.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi zell - Welcome! I have a pair - unfortunatly they made their way to fleabay already. The drivers side is perfect, the passenger has 2 areas of damage but its all hidden with trim. I'd take $200 min for the pair (plus shipping)! You can do a search on fleabay - my user name JWScarab on fleabay too. Pics are on there. I'd cancel the auction if you wanted them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts