Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good while back I was able to finally locate a 69 Mach to restore as I have always wanted one. Because of coworkers that don't show up to work progress has been slow on that car.

In the meantime, I found this car.. a 69 GT and couldn't pass it up. Its a great solid car and will end up making it what I want. I was looking for a base to do a Mach clone in Black Jade but will be painting this one Black Jade instead. We just hired a new person at work so hopefully will be able to get more done quicker than the Mach project.

Hope to post more soon!
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
My 69 GT. 351w 4bbl 4 speed. MB, MS, No A/C. Gulf Stream Aqua w/Black Interior, basic (standard) interior. Loved that car, but it got totaled in 1981. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally cooled off a bit to start dis-assembly, figured I put a few pics in to keep the build thread current. My plan is to make a few upgrades while keeping mostly an original look. Lots of fun. Looking for a resource as to what color to paint parts, underneath, suspension, etc, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to get the front and rear glass out without busting things. However, it took a lot of elbow grease. I don't really know if there's an easier way, but the front trim I took the clip remover and barely reached the clips through the sealant. It had been replaced and apparently had extra layers of the stuff to prevent leaks. In order to get the glass out I slide a hacksaw blade from inside and then pulled and old guitar string through to cut between the glass and metal.

For the back, it appeared it was still the original green tint and gasket. The gasket was crumbly and hard. Had to slide a scraper between the glass and topside of gasket until it cut through to back of gasket and hit metal. I did this sliding carefully from clip to clip. Once I hit a clip , the cliptool could pass through the gasket to reach the clip hold trim. Once trim was off the top layer of gasket fell off due to my cutting and glass lifted out. I think I can reuse it, no nicks, etc.

IMG_5882.JPG
IMG_5880.JPG

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Cool GT, and rare.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got some more done yesterday. Got the rear axle out and body up on the rotisserie. The body is in incredible shape rust wise. Will try to get some good pictures of sheet metal soon.
IMG_6026.JPG
IMG_6027.JPG

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reading all the posts in the build forum always keeps me motivated to press forward. A good bit of progress lately, so I'm posting some pics of before and after in two separate posts to make for easier viewing. With the help of my two young boys and their very flexible arms we were able to clean the inner cowl of rust with an air grinder, dremel, and small hand steel brush. All the panels on this car are original(except for drivers door) and in such great condition. In the pics you can see the original seal sealers, primer, and paint in many areas. We keep realizing its amazing condition each day we work on it. The floors and wheel wells in the pictures are while we were stripping down. You can see the original slop gray primer in many places.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sprayed the SPI epoxy Friday, I custom mixed and got the color to match nearly identical to what I could see under the car orginally. Sprayed SPI gray in cowl. It was a pain to try spray in all those corners and crack under the car. If anyone has any tips or secrets on how to get to those spots I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the engine bay and front frame cleaned and painted finally, also got the export brace temporarily installed to make sure I wasn't too far off. Had to use the bottle jack method as many in the past. It was not too far off, about a half a hole on the fire wall holes. Moved right in with a little persuasion.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'd peek at @69GT350H 's build thread. It has helped me alot. Nice work!
The gallery is a little messy right now, I noticed many of my photos did not make it into the last gallery build so I just threw everything I could find and tossed it in and generated. 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz

#1, document your own car. If there is a color, a texture, a feature that looks out of the ordinary, make sure you have it documented. IF you ever have the car judged, and something is questioned, you will have the documentation to back it up.

#2, research. I looked at a lot of photos, restored cars and spoke to the kind guys over at ConcoursMustang Forums - Index where they also have a lot of photos to look at.

#3, know which plant your car was made at and the date. Things were not all done the same at all the plants.

I was not building concours, so all those natural metal, oil & phosphate coatings just were not going to cut it for me. So I went to my local Home Depot and started shopping the spray paint section for colors that would closely match what I was working on. They have the Rust-Oleum Universal cans with the pull trigger with colors like Oil Rubbed Bronze, Gunmetal, and Dark Steel. I have a whole collection that I used to paint the metal parts under the hood, and body so that I would have a car I could drive and not worry about all that bare metal. I made sure I used slightly different shades on different parts so it did not look like I just took 1 color and sprayed everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts