Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 69 gt with a 351w (auto). The guy's asking 7500 o.b. (probably take 5500) and the car needs paint desperately and probably some body work (filler in the qrtrs). Also, the engine probably has to be gone thru. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the gt and am also looking at a limegold 70 mach1 (351c shaker/air cond.) . The mach is more presentable , but is at about 11,000. The dilkemma is , do i buy the gt and dump money into it or , buy the mach and put less money into it. The mach needs a lot less bodywork but , the initial cost is higher and it also needs paint and rear gear work. Any input would help. (p.s. I like the color of the mach and probably stick w/original limegold color plus the shaker and air opt. is nice) . Also does anyone know how to confirm if the 69 is a 'true' gt.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My .02 worth. First I take it you are in a postion that you can afford either one so that won't figure into the equation. If both need paint that is pretty much a wash even if the Mach needs a little less body work. Depending on how much restoration the GT needs you could easily reach the intial purchase price of the Mach. Bottome line is the Mach will still be worth more than the GT when done and in equal condition. Go with the Mach besides it sounds like the one you would rather have. Good Luck.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,651 Posts
Get the VIN on the GT and contact Kevin Marti for a report from Ford's database to determine if the car left the factory as a GT. Go here: www.martiauto.com/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ,for all the input. I think I'm probably going to go for the Mach. I talked to the owner more, after posting the last message. He told me a few things that needed add'l attention on the car , such as there is no console and there is an aftermarket hurst shifter that should probably be replaced. The car looks very solid in the photos he sent, though with the add'l problems I think 10,000 / 10,500 would be a fair price for both of us. Look forward to talking more and will let you know if the deal goes thru...........Thanks again. P.S. If anyone has any input whether I should keep looking or if the deal sounds fine let me know

·
Registered
612 Posts
Id actually go with the GT, if you could confirm it was a true GT. The GT is a much more rare car, numbers wise, and the 69 is a more desirable looking car in the 69/70 series. That being said, the shaker and air are big desirables, and you cant go wrong iwth a mach either. Hell, buy em both, then you wont have to choose.... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts