Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I just dont think there is enough room behind the kick panel to accomodate a good sized speaker. Doug's design incorporated the tweeter in the kick panel also, which isn't optimal for sound staging. I used component speakers, surface-mounting the tweeters on the a-pillar (required new small hole for wires) and building custom mid-range speaker cabinets for the 5.5" diameter mid/bass speakers that sit in the footwell. I have them so you can move them around for staging or tuck them just in front of the seat for getting in and out. Secured from moving too much by wire cable to the seat frame.

Dont' have any pics of them yet but they turned out nicely. Tiggermom has some pics of hers which are similar.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are kick panel speakers and replacement panels that fit great in 64 to 68. I do know that they make door speakers for 69 and up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought a set from Doug also. The fit and finish are fine. I agree with the other comments about speaker size, but I think these panels beat the alternative of cutting doors or f/glass IMO. The only issue I had with fit (when the speakers are installed) was the emerg brake. I had to modify the mounting to allow the pedal to release properly. After that no problems. By the way I got 6 inch speakers into the pods.......just. ::

·
Registered
46 Posts
I saw these for sale on e-bay recently. There were two diff models for the 69. One for convert, the other for fastback/coupe. What would be the diff? I figured the e-brake might be an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts