Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new to the form I've been slowly working on this car for years now I have a 1969 mach1 with a 466 swap resto mod project I'm having trouble finding the right Moto mounts dose any one know the right mounts/years to use ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ford sold some 70 Mach 1’s with 429 (not boss) motors. I had a set of those I used. I nuked them though going to the track and wound up making some. There are also some headers available for it. There are even some rare cast irons out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks broke !So will 429 Motor mounts work ? I've already bought two sets and nothing seems to fit right

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
To the best of my knowledge Ford did not install a non-Boss 429 in any Mustang until the 1971 model. And that was the only year model where it was an option.
Crites is the go-to company for 429/460 swaps.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,477 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To the best of my knowledge Ford did not install a non-Boss 429 in any Mustang until the 1971 model. And that was the only year model where it was an option.
Crites is the go-to company for 429/460 swaps.
It’s always been a myth... there have been a few in magazines over the years. Some crept through. What I used in my youth “might” have been from a Torino. I know the cast iron manifolds I first ran were. It was 30 years a go and I just can’t remember. OP also know, much like a Cleveland you’ll end up loosening to the motor mounts and jacking the block up to change the center spark plugs. It’s tight. I ran 460’s, however given a choice a 429 is lighter, smoother and might be just as easy to find. I know for a fact ever 69-70 Lincoln I harvested was a true 4 bolt main 460. I would buy them from farmers, fields and barns for 100-$150 Whole. Take the reared, tranny and motor then junk the rest of the car. A cheap connetic gasket kit, new bar rings and rings.. I’d black n deck hone the used motor slap it together, through a 150hp plate nitrous under a 850 double pumper, put in the same RV cam, bolt on the same ported DOVE heads and run high 11’s on pump gas, racial tires and absolutely clueless driving. No telling what it could have done with a more experienced driver, slicks and a better stall converter. There is virtually 500-600hp hidden with a stock engine with a few bolt ons.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 460 in my 69 Cougar - same engine compartment. I did not notch or spread my shock towers.
Changing plugs is about the same as my 351C I replaced my 351W with. No need to jack anything up, I use a spark plug socket with an open end wrench for some plugs. It's even easier if you remove the valve covers.
I used Crites mounts and FPA headers.
Here's an old write-up I did: http://www.rccinnovations.com/Temp/460_in_a_69.pdf
REngine2.jpg LEngine2.JPG Engine2.JPG

Reactions: Broke
1 - 10 of 10 Posts