Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 1969 Mach 1 with white interior. The seats are white w/ white. What should the carpet be? Black w/ Red? Black w/ Black? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
IF you do a search in this section of the forum you will find the subject has been discuss recent with pictures.

IF that thread does not answer all your question feel free to post again

·
Registered
791 Posts
Is there really a standard to the interiors of these cars? I have a white interior 70 Mach and it was assembled in Detroit with Los Angeles DSO. When I was ordering the interior I was hard pressed to find white seat covers with a gray stripe. I am second owner so I know the seats are original. Everyone tried to tell me the stripe should be black. My carpet is black with black inserts. Just like the seat belts are an off-white (parchment) and not bright white.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With all due respect, I do not believe there has been a definitive answer to what carpet should be in a '69 Mach 1 with a white interior. If there was, I would have ordered replacement by now. Here is a summary of what I have seen recently:

MCA judging requires black with red inserts. However, I don't think there is any evidence that any white interior car originally came with red inserts, unless it was red or maroon exterior? Do not accept a one-line answer that you need red inserts without some proof backing it up. And by proof I mean photos of interiors from original cars, which is research I'm trying to do.

Your photos may actually prove that white interior cars got black carpet without Mach 1 inserts. However, carpet is now available with black inserts that I think has been introduced to people who were wanting Mach 1 carpet that was all black. I do not think proof has been given that black Mach 1 inserts were ever originally installed by Ford.

In fact, my current opinion is that black interiors, and maybe red/maroon cars with whiter interiors received black with red Mach 1 insert carpet.

I am not sure what carpet was used for non-red Mach 1s with white interiors. If anybody has that knowledge it would be an original owner or somebody with detailed pics of an original car.

I would love to have that information so I could order the correct carpet for my car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are there any original owners out there???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still don't have a good answer. My car is an original candy apple red mach 1 with all white seats. I would prefer to go the route to not loose any points at a MCA show. Does this mean I should be buying black w/ red carpet?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
allengram said:
Is there really a standard to the interiors of these cars? I have a white interior 70 Mach and it was assembled in Detroit with Los Angeles DSO. ........

OF course this is getting off thread since 69 and 70 are very different

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
txmach said:
With all due respect, I do not believe there has been a definitive answer to what carpet should be in a '69 Mach 1 with a white interior.
No problem... that is why we are discussing the subject. I also would like a few more examples but we have more now than we once did

txmach said:
MCA judging requires black with red inserts.

Well at least in the 69-70 Mustang section ;)

txmach said:
However, I don't think there is any evidence that any white interior car originally came with red inserts, unless it was red or maroon exterior? Do not accept a one-line answer that you need red inserts without some proof backing it up. And by proof I mean photos of interiors from original cars, which is research I'm trying to do.
Evidence? Do you have a collection of pictures of original cars with red exteriors and white interiors that you have not posted??? Interested in seeing them.

txmach said:
Your photos may actually prove that white interior cars got black carpet without Mach 1 inserts. However, carpet is now available with black inserts that I think has been introduced to people who were wanting Mach 1 carpet that was all black.
Not sure how we got to the black carpet with black Mach I inserts on a 69. No pictures or suggestions have been made - unless I missed something

Currently I'm facing a similar choice (with a customers 69 White interior Shelby) but believe we will be using exactly what we found in the car - standard black with no red inserts

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
BrinkerM1 said:
I still don't have a good answer. My car is an original candy apple red mach 1 with all white seats. I would prefer to go the route to not loose any points at a MCA show. Does this mean I should be buying black w/ red carpet?

Bottom line - yes those are the current rules as I understand them

Of course if we can put together a "case" then this might change. ... so goes the process

·
Registered
934 Posts
txmach said:
Are there any original owners out there???
My first Mustang was a 69 Mach 1, R-code, 4-speed, Acapulco Blue, Gold stipes, White Interior. It was a Dearborn car, I am not sure of the build date.
While I was not the 1st owner, I am absolutely certain it had the original interior and it was unrestored when I bought it.

My car did not have red inserts in the seats or in the carpet. The seats were solid white, and the carpets were solid black.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
bigb427 said:

My car did not have red inserts in the seats or in the carpet. The seats were solid white, and the carpets were solid black.
Thanks Bernie ... matches what we are seeing

·
Registered
934 Posts
No problem Jeff. Before I sold my Mach 1, I put new seat covers on the front seats. This was in the mid to late 80's. I had to put covers on it that had the red inserts because plain Mach 1 seat covers were not available then anywhere! This is probably contributing to the confusion for many cars.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Just found this one tonight on EB**

Check out auction #170192819360

·
Registered
39 Posts
So theoretically if this is original carpet, then white interior '69 Mach 1s got standard black carpet with the only insert being heel on the driver's front side?

The black door panel is out of place, and it looks like fold-down sport deck rear seat was retrofitted. Is there any marking on original carpet to figure out if it has been replaced? I asked this before and didn't get an answer, so I'll assume the answer is no way to i.d. original carpet.

Thanks for keeping up this thread.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
txmach said:
So theoretically if this is original carpet, then white interior '69 Mach 1s got standard black carpet with the only insert being heel on the driver's front side?
Yes that is what we saw with the examples I posted earlier and this car - in fact there is another on EBAY now - in addition to the one I mentioned. Missed it earlier until I noticed the interior code and read the description. The seats were now black but text explained that they were white and someone had painted them I wondered why the seats and carpet had no red inserts ;)

SO we have two more (in addition to the others) white Mach I interior with standard black carpet (heel pad only)

txmach said:
Th........... Is there any marking on original carpet to figure out if it has been replaced? I asked this before and didn't get an answer, so I'll assume the answer is no way to i.d. original carpet.
Can't seem to find any engineering number on an original carpet yet. There is a chance that replacements were marked and assembly was not. Like a number of other parts

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I ripped up my carpet I found this number on the the underside of the carpet, I can't be sure it was the original fitted one but it was certainly a factory carpet not repro?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am facing this same question.

I bought my '69 Mach last year and want to replace the carpets and seat fabric. The exterior color is Lime Gold Metallic with white interior.

The seats are all white and the carpet is all black with just the drivers side black insert. I assumed the seats were original and that the carpet was changed at one point to a non-correct standard carpet. Now I wonder if the carpet is also original???

I also feel a red insert would look silly on a green car, so I have not yet ordered carpet. Can we perhaps get some validation from MCA judges on the carpet colors?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a 69 mach 1. My dad bought it new and gave it to me when I was 16. The original colors: exterior - champagne gold, interior - white. The white seats did not have a red stripe, it was white on white. The black carpet did not have red inserts and only had a black insert on the driver side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts