Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out what size rim and tire to put on my '69 mach 1. It currently has the proper stock on it and I'm wanting to put Magnum 500s, but am uncertain of the size on the rims and tires to have the proper spacing. The suspension on the car is standard. Any help on this would be appreciated. Also, did the mach 1 have a tilt steering column option in 1969? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
On the Magnums, you can go 14x7 or 15x7 (originally available on the Bosses) easily. Probably more about tires available (or desired) than particulars, both will fit.
'69's had "tilt-away" as an option, it was cvacuum actuated, and pulled the wheel out of the way for exiting the car. '70s, with a completely different steering column, could be had with a more conventional tilt column.

Carl

·
Registered
108 Posts
One of my 69's has the 14 in magnums and the other has 15 inch aftermarket mags both according to the Marti reports came out with 14's according to 69 brochure they came out with E70-14's or F70-14 wideoval tires so looks like a 14 inch rim but 15's sure look nice

Don

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Try Him

I'm trying to find out what size rim and tire to put on my '69 mach 1. It currently has the proper stock on it and I'm wanting to put Magnum 500s, but am uncertain of the size on the rims and tires to have the proper spacing. The suspension on the car is standard. Any help on this would be appreciated. Also, did the mach 1 have a tilt steering column option in 1969? Thanks.
Ask this guy. He's THE expert.
True Design Wheel; Magnum 500

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
15x7's are a good way to go. If you want big fat tires on the back then 15x8's on the back and 15x7's on the front would be better. Going 15" vs. 14" opens up a world of tire possibilities that are available that aren't available in 14". There is little difference in appearance between the two.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I have 15x7 Magnums on the front and 15x8's on the rear. The fronts have a backspace of 4.25" (stock factory backspace) and the rears are 4.5". My wheels are from Specialty Wheel of Oregon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
69 mach 1

Thanks for the replies. 6t9mach1... what tire/rim combo do you have on your black mach1? Looks great! Maxum96... do you have 15x8s on the back and did you lower the suspention at all? A great car too! From what I've found, it looks like 15x7 with 225 60s in the front and 15x8 with 275 50s in the back will work nicely. Agree, or too big of a tire in the back??

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the replies. 6t9mach1... what tire/rim combo do you have on your black mach1? Looks great! Maxum96... do you have 15x8s on the back and did you lower the suspention at all? A great car too! From what I've found, it looks like 15x7 with 225 60s in the front and 15x8 with 275 50s in the back will work nicely. Agree, or too big of a tire in the back??

225/60's are good for front but I'd go 275/60's not 50's on the back to fill the gap between the quarter and tire.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have 15x7 Magnums on the front and 15x8's on the rear. The fronts have a backspace of 4.25" (stock factory backspace) and the rears are 4.5". My wheels are from Specialty Wheel of Oregon.
I agree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts