Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all
I could use some guidance. I am finishing my 69 Mach which was a roller when purchased. Most everything is new besides the wiring harness. It has a date code correct 351W in it with a cam that matched the original specs. I finished the drive train and then it sat at the paint shop for two years. I did run the motor for about 20 minutes at original start up. I am trying to wrap it up. I started it with my garage carb which was a summit brand and new, and it would run the car fine while I was tuning up in the garage, It has never been driven and still under 45 minutes on the motor. I just purchased a new Holly 600, manual choke because the summit carb did not except the factory linkage that bolts to the rear studs of the carb. So here is the problem. Strapped the carb on, it started fine and runs for 30 seconds and then abruptly shuts off. It has an inline fuel filter and I can see its getting fuel. I thought maybe the float was sticking. so I strapped the original carb back on and same issue. The summit carb has a fuel bowl window so I can see the level is correct. Could this be electrical? The distributor is a reman motorcraft and I am running points. I a bit frustrated at this point so I threw the cover back over it and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you checked the wire between the distributor and the coil? A loose connection here or bad crimp could cause the car to die after vibrating loose.

I did have an issue like this and I had a connector between the two where the pin in the connector actually backed out and had a similar issue. You could diagnose if this is electrical by watching the voltage to the coil as the engine is running and then shuts off.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
verify you have the right point gap and the ground wire installed inside the dizzy is tight and that nothing is shorting.
if all Ok, disconnect the condenser and see if it runs

if not look into what Mackey mentioned.

run a wire right from the battery + to the Coil + and try and start it

remember to disconnect the wire when youre done

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I ran a jumper wire from the bat to the positive side of the coil and the car runs. Which component does this point to as being bad or would it be a short in the wiring somewhere between the voltage reg and the coil?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts