Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and checked out the $1800 Mustang today, and was actually impressed with it's condition. The body was very straight and absolutely no rust in the floors or body, just as he stated. It had been repainted one time previously. The front bumper was in bad shape, and looked as if someone tried pulling the car by throwing a rope around the end of the bumper, and the doors did have a small amount of rust in the lower areas as usual about the size of a quarter on each.

He had the carpet pulled out, and the floor pans were excellent as well (no rust!). It was missing the headliner and drivers side door panel, carpet and the lower portion of the rear seat, but he said the lower seat was at an upholstery shop, and If anyone wants it with the car he can get it back for an extra $60 bucks (the cost of the new upholstery on it). The dash pad had a few cracks in it, but over all, it wasn't that bad. It wasn't sagging and would probably clean up pretty nicely. The bucket seats were in fair daily driver condition with a couple of small tears here and there, they were black with a grey or white cloth insert that had speckles? Is this what is considered houndstooth? I don't know enough about 69's to know if this was original or not.

It has Cragar SS rims on it, but he lost the key to the locknuts, so that will be fun to try and get the wheels off? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

The engine runs, does need a tune up, but to my amazement it was blowing black smoke, not blue, and the original carb was still on it, so I imagine a carb. rebuild and tune up will probably do wonders. It does have power steering which I noticed the pump was for an a/c car, but forgot to check to see if any of the interior vents or controls were there, since I didn't notice any other a/c componets under the hood. It had what looks like a new radiator. The engine bay is actually pretty clean. It is an F-Code which would be the 302 2v correct? That's what it has anyway.

Over-all I would say it was worth the $1800 that he was asking, that is....to someone who was looking for a 1969 Mustang Hardtop. But since I wasn't and didn't really need it, I figured since the note he had placed on my vending machine said OBO, I would do just that and make an offer. I told him $1800 was to much for a car in that condition, and the best I can do was $500. He paused, said no, I said thank you and started walking back to the van. He stopped me half way and said, I have no need for the car since it was an abandoned project of his sons, and just wants it gone (his exact words) Then asked how soon can I pick it up! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I told him I would be back tomorrow, which was fine with him, and since I wasn't expecting on buying it, all I had on me was $75 bucks. He gladly accepted, we wrote up a binding contract (just in case he changes his mind), and tried not to look so happy like I just won the lottery!!!!

Now I just need to figure what I want to do with it? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Stop! Thief!!!

$500 ! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif What kind of weapon were you pointing at him? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Nice buy - $500 on an $1800 asking price! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Might be a Grande by the way you described the seats. Does it have the woodgrain dash, door panels and/or interior 1/4s. Does it still have the door tag? Is it "65E"?

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't have any of the wood grain stuff at all. I didn't bother checking the door tag after checking the vin in the window, and noticed it was just an F-code.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
That's not fair!!!!! stomping feet

That's just not fair!!!

Damn I'm jealous!! $500??? Some guys........

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Our local phrase for a person who gets a deal like that is "Wormy Dog!!"
Same sentiment as when you bust up some guys flush at poker with your straight flush!
Great deal, keep us posted and good luck!
Bruce (TX)
P.S. Brother has the "wormy dog" t-shirt now with his 84 Mustang with a new paint job and a blown head gasket for 250.00!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have a rear seat from coupe that is in really good condition. Its an ugly green but if you like you I am sure we can work something out.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
the Mustang Gods smile on you!

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
581 Posts
Whizco, you dog! With your luck you'll probably pull up the carpet and find an original Michelangelo underneath it.

Awesome buy. I hope you restore it. Could also make a nice restomod.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly I don't have the slightest idea of what I'm going to do with it.

I thought about putting a little money and time into it, and resale it for a profit, also thought it might be a better donor car than the 66 coupe I was going to use for my race car, then restomoding it did come to mind, and then of course I can restore it, especially since I already have a complete factory set of disk brakes, a/c set up and a 69 351 I could replace the 302 with.

At this point I don't have the slightest idea. I think the first thing I need to do though....Is figure out how I'm going to tell swmbo! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif that I just picked up car #25

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Put some credits in the marital bank.....

Don't tell SWMBO yet....

Clean it up, and sell it for a huge profit on ehay....THEN tell SWMBO what you paid for it.....

She'll start looking at the remaining 25 cars differently..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dickson

1 - 16 of 16 Posts