Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather warms up I have to replace the l/s full floor & the l/s torque box on my 69 Coupe, my question is for the torque box I have seen them listed as one piece & two piece. Which would be the best to uase?.
TIA, Mike.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
The two piece is by far easier to install. So much so, I know guys who used to pull the one-piece box apart, then install it.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
The two piece is by far easier to install. So much so, I know guys who used to pull the one-piece box apart, then install it.

Ditto

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
When I got my car, it came with a trunk load of parts, the new t-boxes being one of them. So I used what came with. Not sure of the "brand" of box, but it was a (1) piece unit and was heavily made...cutting it apart would have been a chore....I installed mine in a single piece, and it was not that big of deal. I thought it went in fairly easily. I was replacing toeboards, floors and subframes so that may have made a difference?

I did cut an access slot in the box on what would be the inside of the car for my future parking brake (also ran a clothes hanger wire from that hole to the exit point, so I could fish the cable through later.
Tom

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I did cut an access slot in the box on what would be the inside of the car for my future parking brake (also ran a clothes hanger wire from that hole to the exit point, so I could fish the cable through later.
Tom
The Dynacorn brand 2 piece torque boxes have this already in them with a tube to guide the cable through the torque box and into the car.

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/products/1969-1970-torque-box-coupe-and-fastback-lh-w-slash-pb-cable-channel

·
Registered
67 Posts
Exactly what I just did with mine. no way would it go in in one piece, but mine is a 'vert and I'm replacing the inner rocker at the same time. Would be possible to get it into a coupe in one piece, but it just makes it more difficult to massage into place. 12 extra plug welds never hurt anyone.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info everyone, so I guess I am going with the 2 piece boxs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I did the one piece, and it wasn't that difficult. Had to cut holes for the parkign brake cable tray and install the tray though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Max, the tube would be nice to have...would eliminate much of the "fishing"....like I said, these boxes were really heavy, I've seen others that were no where near as substantial as the ones I put in...
Tom

I put 2 of them in my car. They are nice. Very good quality product.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put 2 of them in my car. They are nice. Very good quality product.

Thanks for the info Maxum96 about the 2 piece torque box.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts