Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cleaning up the Mach 1, and I don't like the way the previous owner patched the outer rocker panel. It's rust free now, but will require more filler than I'd like.
Reading terrible reviews of the reproduction panels, both the cheap one's and the expensive one's. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of these parts? The fact that NPD lists them as out of stock makes me think the reviews aren't just amatuers trying to put reproduction parts on, but they really are poorly made.
Any information would be appreciated before making a bad purchase!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not an expert in body parts, though I had to repair an inner rocker on my convertible. The shop which did the repair told me it was a pretty good repro with minimal adjustments needed. The owner who's been in the business for decades and specializes in classic cars told me most repro panels need to be fitted and adjusted, some more than others. Add the fact that Mustangs were made with pretty high fab variations, do not expect to have body parts ready to bolt/weld on.

For that inner rocker, I went with the best repro I could find and called the folks at NPD for their advice. They were really helpful.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have installed a couple of outer rockers (all Dynacorn brand), and patched a bunch of others. The reproduction parts are ok at best, and usually require a little bit of finagling to get fitted properly. OEM parts are galvanized, which "usually" hold up pretty good. I've replaced completely rusted out inner rockers on convertibles and the outer rockers are in good shape.

I would not replace an entire outer rocker due to a small area. There are a ton of spot welds that have to be removed and the A pillar / rear torque box / wheel house areas are lots of fun to get to.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,202 Posts
My 69 Coupe had a rust hole near the back of the r/s rocker panel & I made a patch for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts