Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Today I installed a quick release steering wheel. It wasn't a simple bolt in.
I'd love to know what steps were involved on a Mustang. It's the wheel closer to you now?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I'd love to know what steps were involved on a Mustang. It's the wheel closer to you now?
The steering column had to be cut about 3/8" for clearance for my fingers to be able to install and release the wheel. The first time I tried it once it snapped in place it almost cut my fingers. The original steering wheel nut that now holds the inner spline on had to be ground down because it did not allow the quick release adapter to go down far enough to snap into place. I bought a 3 bolt release because I already had a 3 bolt to 5/6 bolt steering wheel adapter. I may be a little closer but not much. They make a 5 hole release but I have a 5 and 6 bolt wheel and wasn't sure which one I would be using. If I had to do it again I would buy the 5 hole and not have the additional 1/2" adapter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When did you cover the fake brake scoops on the quarters? Have always like this look and was wondering what it took to do it - besides hanging an entire 70 quarter panel.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When did you cover the fake brake scoops on the quarters? Have always like this look and was wondering what it took to do it - besides hanging an entire 70 quarter panel.
When I bought the body from Hubert Platt in 1970 there were no quarter scoops because it was a Q code 1969 Boss 302 test car that Hubert saved from the crusher. July 1971 and built it into a Super Stocker and raced it at a few NHRA National events until the World Finals in Texas where they wanted me to install scoops because all Mustangs except Boss 302's had quarter scoops and I was racing a 428. They let me race but I had to install scoops before going to Pomona in Feb 1972. There were no brackets in the quarter so we had to fab a C bracket to hold them in place. When I restored the car around 2005 I removed the scoops and welded in a patch panel. The only aftermarket panel on the car is the front valance.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A peek under the hood might be in order... What kinda times you pull'n with that bad boy?
This is how it looked a few years ago and the quickest it went was a 10.75

This is how it looks now and the worn out 428 is being rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What is that on the firewall by the coil, fuel heater/cooler of some kind? Interesting cross over on the headers, is that an 428 thing?
It is a cool can (fill with ice) mounted on the fender apron. It is hard to get equal length headers with an FE engine in a Mustang or Fairlane that is how Doug Thorley designed his. It also sounded a lot better than Hookers that were not designed like that.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
NHRA rules require a brace between the race seat and roll bar. Brian fabricated this for our 1969 Mustang. I will epoxy prime black.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Rusty, Great thread and super quality work...

What size wheel are you running in the back (width and BS)?

I am currently running 15x8 with a 4.5" BS and a 28" tire, but looking at stepping it up to 10" wide and hoping to only have to do minor massaging on the inside and fender lip.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Rusty, Great thread and super quality work...

What size wheel are you running in the back (width and BS)?

I am currently running 15x8 with a 4.5" BS and a 28" tire, but looking at stepping it up to 10" wide and hoping to only have to do minor massaging on the inside and fender lip.
10" rim with 5.5" back space. I can run 9.00 x 30 and 10.5 x 30 but it is tight the tread is inside the quarter but the bulge of the tire is outside the quarter panel

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks Rusty. Good info. The actual tire I am looking at going with on a 10" is MT 3055S, which is 28 x 10.50-15, with a 11.7" section width. Right now I have a Hoosier QTP which is 28 x 11.50-15, and a 11.2" section width on an 8" rim

Is your rear end stock width?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Thanks Rusty. Good info. The actual tire I am looking at going with on a 10" is MT 3055S, which is 28 x 10.50-15, with a 11.7" section width. Right now I have a Hoosier QTP which is 28 x 11.50-15, and a 11.2" section width on an 8" rim

Is your rear end stock width?
Yes not allowed to modify to be legal to race in NHRA Stock. I don't have the info here at the shop but I believe the sectional was 13.2.

When I raced Super Stock I ran 11.5 x 29 slick on a 8" rim with 4.75 back space. Had to modify the front of the inner wheelhouse a little and removed the snubber brackets.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I decided it was time to get it out of storage and start getting it ready for the 50th Anniversary Cobra Jet Reunion.

The wiring was done over 20 years ago and it's time to upgrade. I bought a Ron Francis race car harness and switch panel. I assembled the switch panel tonight after supper on the kitchen table.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ron Francis Bare Bonz race car wiring kit.

I mounted the fuse panel on the right kick panel

Switch panel right in front of the shifter on the trans tunnel within easy reach when I have belts tight.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts