Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The steering column had to be cut about 3/8" for clearance for my fingers to be able to install and release the wheel. The first time I tried it once it snapped in place it almost cut my fingers. The original steering wheel nut that now holds the inner spline on had to be ground down because it did not allow the quick release adapter to go down far enough to snap into place. I bought a 3 bolt release because I already had a 3 bolt to 5/6 bolt steering wheel adapter. I may be a little closer but not much. They make a 5 hole release but I have a 5 and 6 bolt wheel and wasn't sure which one I would be using. If I had to do it again I would buy the 5 hole and not have the additional 1/2" adapter.

Hi rusty428cj

I am interested in doing the same thing in my 65 fastback, what brand of quick release do you used? I see you have your original steering column, I also want to use mine.

I have 2 different steering wheels that want to use, one is the shelby gt350 motolita 6 bolt pattern and the other is a momo...I think the shelby is a nardi pattern, and there are adapters for nardi to momo and viceversa...so maybe buying 2 quick releases can change wheels when ever i want.

Well thats the idea...please advise on your quick release...thks

D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Most of the quick release hubs require welding to the column. Cobra automotive has one that bolts on. A bit pricy, but very well made and easy to align and get the wheel on/off. The large spline with the disconnect rib, fits over the stock spline for a secure fit just like the OEM wheel. In fact to get it off, I needed to use a pulley puller after it was unbolted. Allows putting the OEM wheel back on in the future.

I went with a Moto-Lita wheel. The wheel has a rubber core and leather wrapped, nice and thick, but not heavy so it fills my hands for a good grip.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi rusty428cj

I am interested in doing the same thing in my 65 fastback, what brand of quick release do you used? I see you have your original steering column, I also want to use mine.

I have 2 different steering wheels that want to use, one is the shelby gt350 motolita 6 bolt pattern and the other is a momo...I think the shelby is a nardi pattern, and there are adapters for nardi to momo and viceversa...so maybe buying 2 quick releases can change wheels when ever i want.

Well thats the idea...please advise on your quick release...thks

D
This is what I used

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/grt-3002/overview/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most of the quick release hubs require welding to the column. Cobra automotive has one that bolts on. A bit pricy, but very well made and easy to align and get the wheel on/off. The large spline with the disconnect rib, fits over the stock spline for a secure fit just like the OEM wheel. In fact to get it off, I needed to use a pulley puller after it was unbolted. Allows putting the OEM wheel back on in the future.

I went with a Moto-Lita wheel. The wheel has a rubber core and leather wrapped, nice and thick, but not heavy so it fills my hands for a good grip.
Thks app01 I will check cobra automotive for that quick release!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I bought this Q code 428 Mach 1 body that was used as a Boss 302 test car from Hubert Platt in 1970 and July 1971 turned it into a SS/GA that set the NHRA National record twice. I quit racing it at the end of the 1974 season. I painted it in my shop in 2005 close to the way it was raced in the 70's. At this time it is being updated to race in B/SA and will be at the 50th Cobra Jet Anniversary Reunion in Norwalk Ohio. This week in my spare time I sandblasted and painted the headers.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Rusty... several of our Club Members are going to be at the Norwalk Reunion with their CJs... I may attend also... If I do, it won't be too hard to find you!!!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Lookin good man!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looking great. Enjoying following the post and reading the history and progress.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have been working on my 1969 Cobra Jet Mustang between customer cars in my spare time getting ready for the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra Jet.

I have had a few questions about my shifter. It is a reverse pattern shifter from Turbo Action for the C4. I don't have the decal on it showing the shift pattern.

I have the wiring finished and everything works

I still have to wire the alternator and my new water pump when the engine is installed.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It's been apart a long time but it's running and we made it to the Cobra Jet reunion. It was display only I still have a few things to do before I can race it. I was in a tent with a lot of historic Cobra Jet race cars.

I was talking to Donald Farr

We had a special dinner with over 500 in attendance and this was by one of the doors

Saturday morning they had a photo of everybody that raced a Cobra Jet

I had a great time and talked to a lot of guys that have followed me on Facebook and forums.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I decided to lower the rear it was way too high.

I've had a set of Calvert split mono leaf springs a long time I decided to see if they would work.

Looks a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I am sure you will like those Calvert mono-leafs. I have them on my 1970 and they work well. Plus they are much lighter than the OEM leaf stack.

What size rear tire are you running? It fits in there nicely.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I am sure you will like those Calvert mono-leafs. I have them on my 1970 and they work well. Plus they are much lighter than the OEM leaf stack.

What size rear tire are you running? It fits in there nicely.
9"x30" on a 10" wide rim.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Today I moved cars around in the shop so I had room to jack up the Mustang and replace the old wheels and tires. The wheels are Race Star 15 x 3.75 in the front and 15 x 10 in the rear with 5.5 backspace and 9 x 30 radial slicks.
157.jpg
158.jpg
160.jpg
162.jpg
161.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
Extremely cool!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Looks great Rusty, always enjoy reading your posts about your cars and projects you're working on. Thanks for sharing with us.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts