Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Im in the middle of rebuilding a 69 mustang, we are in the stages of replacing the firewall, floor pan, new MTF full long frame. The vehicle is level, the firewall and floor pan need to be welded in but the question is if the rocker panels are level does the front clip need to be level as well?

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Wouldn't the MTF frame kit have the datum and reference dimensions in the manual?

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
Welcome!

Start a Build Thread, I’d like to follow.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
Hello, Im in the middle of rebuilding a 69 mustang, we are in the stages of replacing the firewall, floor pan, new MTF full long frame. The vehicle is level, the firewall and floor pan need to be welded in but the question is if the rocker panels are level does the front clip need to be level as well?
Just did this last week...so the fire wall should fit perfectly into the torque boxes and front clip you can clamp screw that in. And then the floor should rest perfectly on 4 points. The transmission tunnel support. The frame rails extensions the transition pan and the firewall up front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did this last week...so the fire wall should fit perfectly into the torque boxes and front clip you can clamp screw that in. And then the floor should rest perfectly on 4 points. The transmission tunnel support. The frame rails extensions the transition pan and the firewall up front.
The firewall and floor pan and torque boxes are not welded in yet, mtf suggested to fit the new door panel and hinges then like you said mock up the front clip, will the firewall need to be welded first??

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
The firewall and floor pan and torque boxes are not welded in yet, mtf suggested to fit the new door panel and hinges then like you said mock up the front clip, will the firewall need to be welded first??
Well when I did it this is what I did I installed the torque boxes completely welded in. And then I welded the frame rail extension to the frame rail/ aprons then i supported them at the front and screwed and clamped them in place then I used the crossmembers on the bottom and the export brace up top to make sure they fit the way they should. Then I screwed/clamped the radiator support and the crossmember for the radiator support that and the strut rod mounts In place. Then after I checked measurements and everything plus dropped the firewall in to make sure it fit perfect. Then I welded the frame rails/aprons to the torque boxes and I did the radiator support and crossmember and then the strut rod mounts. Then I dropped the supports holding the weight while I welded and it was perfect I stood on the front radiator crossmembers and jumped up and down a few times it’s just force of habit lol to make sure my work held. Then I buy the transmission tunnel support and welded that in them I dropped the firewall in welded that in place then the floorpan went in. Whilst I had The Whole front end cut off I actually put the one piece pan in them and tied it to the ceiling of the car so it would just drop right into place. Feel free to ask as I may have forgot something sorry for the paragraph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts