Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone be so kind as to tell be where all of the wires go? I can't for the life of me figure it out, since the previous owner jumbled them around all over the place. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Your solenoid should have 4 posts: 2 large on opposite sides and 2 small marked 'S' and 'I'. There should be two small wires with molded on right angle boots. The small RED/BLU goes to S and the small BRN goes to I. The very big cable that goes to the starter goes on one large post (nothing else on this post) and the large cable that goes to the battery as well as any other small wires (ring terminal ends) go to the other large post.

Typical::

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I have the right three posts spot on but I still can't quite figure out where the wires on the left post even come from (aside from + battery). Any thoughts? Also if I may ask, what wires go on the ground post on the front of the engine block, and where does the ground on the back left of the firewall go?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Thanks for the help. I have the right three posts spot on but I still can't quite figure out where the wires on the left post even come from (aside from + battery). Any thoughts? Also if I may ask, what wires go on the ground post on the front of the engine block, and where does the ground on the back left of the firewall go?
Depending on your car's options (or lack thereof) you may have only one or two wires that goes on the left post with the battery + cable. These wires are part of the main underhood harness and should have fusible links with ring terminals on their ends.

The only thing that should go on the ground stud/bolt on the front of the engine block should be the battery neg cable. The ground cable from the firewall connects to the engine however Im not sure on a 69 if it connects to the back of the cylinder head or intake manifold. On a 68 is goes to the back of the passenger side cylinder head.

Paul

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you've been a big help. Sorry if it seems like i'm asking a lot, measure twice cut once i guess haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts