Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something new for us a Mustang that needs to be restored that Brian drove into the shop. The body looks like it is in pretty good shape. We will know more once we start stripping the paint. The left quarter panel skin has been replaced a long time ago. The right side has some rust around the wheelwell.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wood Bumper Vehicle door Paint Rectangle
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Grille Tire
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Happy to see that @asrassoc visited with and chose you to do the restoration. As @awhtx already posted, he is a new VMF member.

Here is a link to his original post looking for recommendations:

Looking for Restoration Recommendations '69 428 CJ | Vintage Mustang Forums (vintage-mustang.com)

Also a link that he posted in his other post with a back story on this particular car. I found it very interesting but then again I'm a nerd for this type of history.

1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 SportsRoof - Fast Company (motortrend.com)

Looking forward to following this project here and on your FB page @rusty428cj

John

Reactions: DonP

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Convertible
136 Posts
Hopefully this one won't be as drastic as the other one you are working on. But there are always suprises under the paint. As I found out the hard way. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,295 Posts
I'll try and swing by and see this one in person, since I'm in the area for the week.

Reactions: rpm

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Good morning all. Disassembly is going well. A few surprises but so far my first born male child is not in danger of being traded for parts/labor. (is it done yet?).

Located the VIN on the driver's side frame beneath the fender. Also found the buck tag although it has at least a couple of coats of paint on it and will need some TLC. Also the tag on the read end matches the Marti Report. So all and all things are lining up nicely.

We are tearing her down to the individual nuts and bolts and my intent with the car is to restore her as close as possible to original. I also anticipate only driving the car to local meets. Those of you who have followed my thread on this know about the bit of interesting history on this car which I am still tracking down.

I am having an internal debate with myself on three things. Car was not ordered with a/c or the front disc brake option and does not have the Chrome Styled Steel Wheels.

So....

1. Rusty and I discussed changing out all four to disc brakes. Obviously keeping the original drums and associated parts. OR just converting the front brakes to disc brakes.

2. Car currently has a dash on it as if it had factory a/c. Will probably replace the dash regardless. Really think we need A/c in FL. So..... go back with a dash pad without the factory a/c opening (as ordered) and add a vintage air type a/c?

3. The wheels on it currently look OK but I will probably replace them regardless. Thoughts on the Chrome Styled Steel Wheels (per the Marti report that's what she came with) versus another option?

Lastly, does anyone have a recommendations on a reproduction 'factory' wiring harness? Rusty and I spoke yesterday and I think we want to completely replace the wiring on her.

If nothing else this post can be a cannon fodder thread for your amusement.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas Metal

Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Question..... factory AM/FM radio... I know there is a center speaker in the dash, but I have seen other Mach's with factory? speakers in the door panels. Was that an option?

·
Premium Member
15,034 Posts
Was A/C even an option with the 428CJ engine? Something tells me it was not but maybe it was not available with the 428SCJ Drag Pack.
To the best of my knowledge the Chrome Style Steel wheel was the only wheel available on the '69 M1.
Talk to member "midlife" about restoring your original wiring harness.
If you're only driving to local shows the drum brakes will be sufficient.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts