Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just fired up the Cleveland that was dropped in a car I purchased a while back and am checking what it may be worth. The date code 0J19. The heads are 4’s with a dot (open chamber?). Seems to be original other than valve covers. Still has autolite carb. Put power to the coil and a gas I.V. and it ran pretty good. I have a 70 Mach 1 H code that I’m modernizing and don’t think I’m gonna use this engine. Thanks!
image.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I apologize if it seems I’m fishing a bit, but I see the prices all over the place on these $400-$1500!?. Just wanted some more knowledgeable and real advice on it

·
Premium Member
12,034 Posts
It should have closed chamber heads. There is a fairly strong market for first run (original 4.0" bore) blocks and closed chamber heads.

·
Premium Member
12,034 Posts
"Getting into 4 with dot heads, it gets murkier. In that case it looks like 4 Dot heads with date codes up to mid 71 manufacture date will be closed chamber. So in this case if the mystery engine has 4 dot, you'll have to pull the valve cover to get a date code. If the date code starts with 1970 0*** date code or to mid year 1971 1F***, it looks like its a safe bet on closed chamber."

Pull the valve covers and see what your head casting dates are. According to this a 4 Dot head with a casting date up to 1F?? is a closed chamber head. Your engine is a 0J?? so if the heads are the originals they will be closed chambers.
You need to pull a head to check the bore diameter anyway so get after it.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
that thing fired up???

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
Back in the day, the Cleveland was the Bomb, while the Windsor was the step child,......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know a lot of guys love these Cleveland’s and that’s why I’m trying to figure out how to pass it on since it seems to be a decent one. I always thought I was gonna do a 390, but now I kinda like the newer stuff putting out dependability, performance and better mileage too. Love the sound of the older ones much better though. I’m 48

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Getting into 4 with dot heads, it gets murkier. In that case it looks like 4 Dot heads with date codes up to mid 71 manufacture date will be closed chamber. So in this case if the mystery engine has 4 dot, you'll have to pull the valve cover to get a date code. If the date code starts with 1970 0*** date code or to mid year 1971 1F***, it looks like its a safe bet on closed chamber."

Pull the valve covers and see what your head casting dates are. According to this a 4 Dot head with a casting date up to 1F?? is a closed chamber head. Your engine is a 0J?? so if the heads are the originals they will be closed chambers.
You need to pull a head to check the bore diameter anyway so get after it.
Thanks for the info on those dates! I pulled the covers and they have the codes 0J1. I know I should pull the heads but would rather just pass the motor on to someone that may want it. I see prices are all over the place on these. Any idea what I should ask for it? I can leave it in so someone can hear it run. Thank you

·
Premium Member
12,034 Posts
The value of the block is totally dependent upon the bore size. If it's already been bored .040" it's pretty well worthless because it can't be bored again and it would need 8 sleeves which aren't cheap. I guess your best bet is to show it to somebody in running condition and then let them make an offer based upon bore condition subject to pulling the heads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The value of the block is totally dependent upon the bore size. If it's already been bored .040" it's pretty well worthless because it can't be bored again and it would need 8 sleeves which aren't cheap. I guess your best bet is to show it to somebody in running condition and then let them make an offer based upon bore condition subject to pulling the heads.
Thanks for the response. You and your advice are appreciated!

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
FYI - that's a 71 model year engine. Model year changover was July 1970. D1OF-AAA carb is the 351-4V w/auto carb.

Four dot is just as @awhtx explained it - all closed chamber until mid production year (@ Feb '71) and then the 351CJ parts were starting to come into production. You don't have to pull the head, just the intake, as the casting numbers are on the under side of the intake ports. 95% certainty those are D1AE-GA heads, and they are not Boss heads, since they have bolt down rockers. With a Sept 1,1970 date code, they are closed chambers for certain.

Value is very subjective. I've paid $75 for short blocks, to $500 for a complete engine. I know of a guy that paid around $1300 for a 30k mile complete engine because it matched his date codes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI - that's a 71 model year engine. Model year changover was July 1970. D1OF-AAA carb is the 351-4V w/auto carb.

Four dot is just as @awhtx explained it - all closed chamber until mid production year (@ Feb '71) and then the 351CJ parts were starting to come into production. You don't have to pull the head, just the intake, as the casting numbers are on the under side of the intake ports. 95% certainty those are D1AE-GA heads, and they are not Boss heads, since they have bolt down rockers. With a Sept 1,1970 date code, they are closed chambers for certain.

Value is very subjective. I've paid $75 for short blocks, to $500 for a complete engine. I know of a guy that paid around $1300 for a 30k mile complete engine because it matched his date codes.
You really know your stuff! I just looked at the carb tag and it is stamped d10faaa like you said. It was missing the starter and saw the block code was 0J19. Doesn’t that mean oct. 19, 1970? It also said DOAE-L. Also you think I’d have any luck listing it on the forum classifieds or somewhere else? Thanks for your knowledge!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You really know your stuff! I just looked at the carb tag and it is stamped d10faaa like you said. It was missing the starter and saw the block code was 0J19. Doesn’t that mean oct. 19, 1970? It also said DOAE-L. Also you think I’d have any luck listing it on the forum classifieds or somewhere else? Thanks for your knowledge!
sorry, I was walking the dog when I saw your reply. I understand now it’s engine MODEL year which would start production later the prior year just like all vehicles. Duh me.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
The month letter in the date code skips the letter "I", to avoid confusion with the number "1".

You could try here, as well as on the 7173mustangs.com site. Hit the classic cougar forum too. Complete good running engines of this vintage are tough to come by.

FYI, Fastenal offers reasonably priced store to store shipping on a pallet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Back in the day, the Cleveland was the Bomb, while the Windsor was the step child,......
Yea, I had a '73 Torino with one in it with dual 2-1/2" pipes. A friend who used to drag race told me the engine was worth more than the entire rest of the car. The only problem was that because of emissions, it had been de-tuned so much that it had no power, even with a 4-barrel. But it sounded great... I pegged the tach once, but don't recall its max reading.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts