Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the exhaust manifolds 2V and 4V do not take a 'donut' as the manifolds have a cone which mates to the 'cone' of the exhaust pipe.
Question: When i tore this engine down the exhaust manifolds were mounted 'iron to iron' with no exhaust manifold gaskets. Now , i do recall way back working on several fords that did not utilize an exhaust gasket.
Motor is fresh but i can hear leaks near the exhaust manifolds. Second guessing myself now, maybe i should have installed gaskets on them.

Seems like Felpro MS90526 are the correct ones. Will be a pain to slip in a set but maybe if i can jack one side of the engine up at a time that might help with the install.

Thoughts? thanks...John

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
John R code, its supposed to be iron on iron. But if you think you MUST intstall gaskets the ONLY ones you can consider are the solid copper ones. The paper and ceramic gaskets don't let the heat transfer away from the manifolds. LSG

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LSG. Thanks for the response. Interesting on the copper gaskets. I plan on seeing if i can locate the source of the leak..i can certainly hear it.
What brand of copper gadkets do u prefer?

Thanks again..John

·
Registered
42,892 Posts
You must make sure both sealing surfaces are surgically clean and then I'd suggest checking the manifold flanges with a straight-edge for "flatness". Sometimes they need to be run through a surface grinder and "milled" flat after previously warping from heat. I, personally, despise exhaust manifold gaskets believing that their existence is simply to cause old people like myself to lose hair on their heads.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
we are the original family owners of my 351C 2V
no factory exhaust gaskets were used.
when i had the heads done in 86 I was very surprised to see that and
i have solid confirmation form dad that it was never apart b4

so i put it back metal to metal just the way i found it

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Copper gaskets are a quick and easy solution.

If you want to fix it the "right" way, clamp the manifold in a vise and spray the mating surface with black paint. Use a 16" body board, or 2x4 ( twoobahforr up here in NE) with 80grit or so adhesive roll sandpaper. A couple swipes will show you the low spots. Work it a bit and you'll start to see the low spot go away. If it's really bad, have them milled, fly cut or sanded at an automotive machine shop.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Upon getting the car up on race ramps today i located the problem. We had installed a magnaflow stainless exhaust system on the convertible. It basically is designed to go from headers back with an x pipe. Therefore we had to fabricate the downpipes. On the drivers side i noted that the cone in the pipe was 'cocked to one side' as it had 'pulled' when he tig welded the pie cuts. It was evident when i put my hand up and felt the exhaust coming out. When my son's hoist is clear early next week we'll drop that side, cut the portion fitting crooked to the exhaust flange, install and tighten it straight and then manufacture a new pie cut piece of 2 1/2" stainless to mate up to it...that should solve it.
Upon examination i could not see nor feel any leaks at the manifolds. They appear to be sealing well.
I'll post a pic of our fabricated exhaust.
Regards...John

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a few pics and yes the convertible only plate is bolted back on now and clears the exhaust perfectly.
Best regards...John

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Very nice! Beautiful work, next time you go home for a visit to Nfld you should take a detour down to PA and throw an exhaust on my 65! LOl kip

·
Registered
742 Posts
Lived in Argentia near Placentia way back in 71-73. Dad was part of a program in the navy that kept track of enemy subs called SOSUS. He was there twice, he had to sell his 69 mach1 right before we moved up there (mom!) I only got the once. I did go back with my wife in 2017, we jumped ship on a cruise between England and NYC. We got off the boat in St Johns and had pre booked a car and BnB ahead. Fantastic walking my old stomping grounds. I think you and I had a quick "chat" about 10yrs ago. Here's a pic for you, Cape St Mary's, not too far from St Lawrence as the "shag" flies though probably far enough you couldn't see it.
Where did you take your 69?
Water Sky Water resources Azure Natural landscape

1 - 12 of 12 Posts