Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done an engine and transmission swap on a 70 convertible going from a 351C with an FMX to a motor/transmission out of a late model mustang? My front end is weak (had the shock towers pulled apart when I was 16, didn't really know any better at the time) and the motor and transmission both need major work. I thought maybe lightening up the car with a newer drivetrain might be a better way than going back with what I have in it right now, but I didn't know if it's worth the effort?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The structure will have to be fixed anyway, so that shouldn't even factor in. I am a cleveland freak and love having something different.
A overdriven transmission is always a good thing. I'm not a big FMX fan, over complicated, prone to vibrations, heavy, but actually some what durable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sidewinder. You pretty much nailed it, too heavy for a 41 year old stock convertible with a weak front end.

I am considering putting in a Mustang II front end and getting rid of the shock towers to get some room and strengthening the whole front end more if I can find a shop to tackle it for me. I was thinking that if I go to the trouble of getting rid of the towers and rebuilding the front end, I'll just keep the cleveland and change the transmission to an overdrive.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am considering putting in a Mustang II front end and getting rid of the shock towers to get some room and strengthening the whole front end more if I can find a shop to tackle it for me. .
Why give it to anyone to do it for you? This is something you can do. Do you have a garage to do it in? If you do, go out and learn how to weld. There is enough tech support from the manufacturers of the IFS mustang 2 kits and here to help you to get it done. The 'peacock factor' of telling people you did it is worth the effort.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts