Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is so special about 70 351W heads that some people just have to have them? Has anyone used the basic Edelbrock perfomer cam/carb/intake combo with these heads?
Thanks...

·
Registered
613 Posts
They are considered the best of Ford's pathetic line of Windsor heads with their 1.84" intake valves and small 60cc chambers. They make pretty good "street" power with those components but don't expect 400hp, maybe 325 hp at best.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
as cast, the 69/70 351W heads (C9 AND DO castings) came with slightly larger valves and intake ports than the standard 289/302 head, making it a natural bolt on horsepower increase. There is enough room to further open up the heads to 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves and plenty of "meat" for a good porting job to really wake them up. Before the big influx of aftermarket pieces for the small block Ford, the early Windsor heads were the way to go, unless you opted for the "Clevor" approach using Cleveland style heads.....

with all the head offerings these days, especially from the aluminum side of the house, the Windsor heads are not as popular as they once were for obvious reasons. In fact, there is a very nice used set on E(b)ay at the present that has already been modified with the larger valves and comes complete including guide plates and roller style rockers for a buy it now price of 200 bucks!! Still, if you are trying to really wake up the potential of a small block Ford, there are better heads out there these days...

randy

·
Administrator
19,320 Posts
Pretty good stuff, but "old school". In particular 69-70 heads were prized because unlike all other 351W heads, they aren't drilled out for the Thermactor ports. This means they can be ported out a bit better. They enjoyed popularity among certain racers because they had larger valves. In some race classes the racers could pass them off as "stock" 302/351W heads and not be caught until the engine was torn down for inspection.
Some people set great importance by appearing stock while having "a little extra help" on the inside. Personally, give me a choice between a pair of fully tricked out C9OE heads and some "ot of the box" aluminum AFR heads for equal money and I'll take the AFR's every time. (Or TrickFlows, or whatever)
That said...Not caring to invest that much in an engine for my old F150, I picked up a pair of decent 70 351W heads for $50. Ported the heck out of them and like them very much, thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts