Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shrug:help my son with what to change in rebuilding senior project that i ve had 30 plus years truck motor has solid lifters mine had hudrylic will it bore to 390 and can i use the 428 rods from original stay with solid lifters or hydraiic from original /what and where rebuild kit to buy

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
You could use the 360 but Why not just get a true 390 block. They are cheap and plentiful. Trust me, the 390 block will be the cheapest part of your engine build. FE engine cost ALOT to build right ! You could install a 428 crank and rods in the 390 and that would give you a 410ci at standard bore. Do not go over .030 with a regular 390 block. Stick with a hydralic cam for a street car.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Also, the truck block would have that big " T " on the front of the block in plain view. It would bother me and most Mustangers have a Truck engine in a Mach. You should be able to get a 390 Block for $100 or just get a 428. It will be worth the little extra money upfront.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe the bore is the same between 360 and 390. The 390 and 428 rod should be the same. The 390 crank is different from the 360. If you use solid lifters in a hydrulic lifter block, I believe you need to plug the oil feeders at the back of the block.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
FE engines

69, the 360 would fit just fine. The 360 has assembled height issues, which makes for low compression and poor performance. The 390 and 360 have the very same bore, and are infact the same block. There is no differance between them. The 360 was created by Ford using a 390 block, 352 crank & rods, and 390 4V flattop pistons. The 390 or 360 in a pickup truck and the 390 passenger car block are the same. You can bore them .030 if you need to, no problem. There is also a 391 FT block out there from the 1 & 1/2 ton and bigger trucks. My FT stuff came from an F700. None of the blocks has a T cast into the front. There are some low rise 4V cast iron intakes on some of the pickup trucks that have a large T cast into them.

So, you have a 360 from a pickup, what year ? What is the engine in the car now ? Yes, you can use the 428 rods if you want. Depends on what you're trying to brew up. And no, the Fe isn't scary bad expensive to build. There are some things you need to pay attention to, however. What are you looking to build, drag racer ? Hot Street ? Cruiser ?

LSG

·
Registered
942 Posts
I am by far NO FE engine expert, but I remember selling a friend a '75 360 from an F250 pickup, he rebuilt it and installed it into a '69 Mach 1 that previously had a factory 390.
He found out that the Truck heads has a different bolt pattern for the exhaust manifolds than the car heads and I don't think the truck manifolds would fit the Mustang.....that was long ago and I can't remember what he did for exhaust....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts