Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
In the middle of cleaning my door internals ready for coating I’ve discovered my LHS quarter window upper pivot has ‘gone’, along with its backing plate, (RHS shown for reference)...

https://flic.kr/p/2gvrxH8

can’t seem to find these anywhere - does anyone have one, or know where a repro can be found?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Base coat applied:

Then Clear:

Meanwhile, I've been tackling the door internals and windows, so they can be ready to put back in once paint is complete. Most of the photos were lost when my iPhone went swimming (don't ask), but all the internals are now cleaned, de-rusted and either painted (by me) or off getting zinc/chrome plated as required. I also had to bite the bullet and buy a set of the pivots, but at least they were good originals.

One thing that did impress me was how well the metal trim for the door window came up. I initially found them lying at the bottom of the door well looking decidedly rusty and knackered, but a blast with steel wool and then careful polishing, they've come up great - quick 50/50 below:

I've also ordered a lot of new seals and rubber trim etc, so once the coating's done and I've rebuilt the mechanism, it should all be ready to be boxed up and sent to Phil for installation.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The color is beautiful, nice work! Are you planning any striping or trim? I like the 69 Mach 1 look, but not the 70. These cars need a little bit of contrast with stripes, which to me, actually makes them look better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The color is beautiful, nice work! Are you planning any striping or trim? I like the 69 Mach 1 look, but not the 70. These cars need a little bit of contrast with stripes, which to me, actually makes them look better.
Thanks and agreed - it'll be getting something in the stripes line, but it'll probably be as a final cherry on top before it's finished. I want to spend a bit of time looking at it in the metal before making a decision. Plus, my wife is very anti-stripes, so it will need some long-term politicking to get the concept across the line...

(she also prefers the '70 front end, so going '69 has already caused disagreement :box: )

·
Registered
770 Posts
(she also prefers the '70 front end, so going '69 has already caused disagreement :box: )
Interesting that the wife prefers the 70 model. The 69 with the 4 headlight layout seems to be the more popular of the two. I liked the Trans Am series cars and the 70 was the series winner. I plan to have my Boss 302 striping done in paint as I do not like sticker add ons. Paint is a long way off for me, likely two years yet at the pace I am going.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The body/paint came out amazing! It has me debating now about whether i want to chemical-dip mine or use the traditional soda/bead blast method now.

Either way, this inspired me to start bodywork earlier! Thanks for the posts and am looking forward to the continuing progress.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The body/paint came out amazing! It has me debating now about whether i want to chemical-dip mine or use the traditional soda/bead blast method now.

Either way, this inspired me to start bodywork earlier! Thanks for the posts and am looking forward to the continuing progress.
Thanks!! :)

in all honesty, I suspect the prep’s more important than the stripping regarding paintwork, but I know Phil was quite happy having a really clean sheet to start from (IYSWIM)...
Good luck with yours! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Update?

Not really, unfortunately! The car's stuck in COVID-19 Purgatory due to parts supply issues...

What I have done is a video looking back on what's been done so far - I'm looking to do more of the same on the Mustang when it comes back, as well as my work on my other cars, as a regular(ish) vLog.

Caveats are: I have never done anything like this before, am learning video and audio editing as I go and am working on minimal kit that again is being bought as I go along! Comments welcome!! (I know I need to speak in a bit less of a monotone already though - the curse of a Scottish accent! :D

Enjoy! Hopefully...

61 - 78 of 78 Posts