Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started on this project 15 years ago with the intention of having it done in two years. Well I started out fast and furious with the complete dismantling and the further I got the more rust I found. As you can see from some of the pictures there was extensive rust. So at that time I had it bead blasted and primed and then it sat for about 14 years as kids needed to be fed and educated and then married off ! So I have been back at it on a regular basis for the last few months. I have now replaced both front frame rails plus extensions, both inner rocker panels, both front torque boxes, and both floor pans from front to back. When I was removing old parts like the inner rockers I left parts of the existing torque box in place to fit the new rocker to in order for me to ensure I would be more accurate in fitting everything together. Rear torque boxes were good so I cleaned them out and treated them before I put the new rockers in.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
224 Posts
I started on this project 15 years ago with the intention of having it done in two years. Well I started out fast and furious with the complete dismantling and the further I got the more rust I found. As you can see from some of the pictures there was extensive rust. So at that time I had it bead blasted and primed and then it sat for about 14 years as kids needed to be fed and educated and then married off ! So I have been back at it on a regular basis for the last few months. I have now replaced both front frame rails plus extensions, both inner rocker panels, both front torque boxes, and both floor pans from front to back. When I was removing old parts like the inner rockers I left parts of the existing torque box in place to fit the new rocker to in order for me to ensure I would be more accurate in fitting everything together. Rear torque boxes were good so I cleaned them out and treated them before I put the new rockers in.
Nice, kids are raised, time to raise the car. Good job

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well since my last post I have done a variety of parts replacements. I have now replaced both inner and outer rear wheel wells on both sides, replaced the taillight panel, replaced the fender apron on the passengers side. I also opened up the cowl to check for damage and was relieved to find it was not to bad. It just needed a good cleaning and painting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also recently had the grandkids wanting to help. So I had them scraping excess materials from the doors, then we cut off the door skins that were in bad shape. We then took the door shells and the 9" rear end in for bead blasting. They all turned out great and got some primer on. I've also test fit the new quarter panels. So far I'm happy with the fit of them. I won't do any welding on them until all of the suspension is back in and the car is back on the ground on tires.
62085213076__5EADCCC9-BD1D-467C-98F4-FA2CDF7AED4E.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received a lot of parts this week that I had ordered a while ago. Everything was good except one thing, the subframe connector.

Front suspension, rear suspension and steering components parts arrived. Its obvious from the difference in height ( about 1 inch ) that the old springs were shot. I decided to stick with the basic stock suspension configuration given that this is the first time I have done anything of this magnitude. Only problem was the subframe connector. It was supposed to have a 90 degree bend on the front end to accommodate the fact that the front and rear frame rails are not in a straight line. Even the installation diagram shows it! I ordered it last Dec. It took 9 months and its wrong!

The old rear leaf springs also had a sag of about an inch as well when compared to the new ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally was able to get my welds cleaned up enough to put some primer on in the engine bay and fender aprons. Its nice to see some paint even if its just primer.

I made a rookie mistake a few months ago when I put in the new floor pans. I did not use the whole replacement pan, I just used what I thought I needed. When I went to weld it in I then realized that the area I tried to save was very thin and it was like trying to weld single ply toilet paper. It turned out to be a big mess. I tried to convince myself it was "OK" but I new I would never be happy with it. I ended up ordering new rear pans and a day of work later it looks 100% better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More progress to report. I finished cleaning up all the welds the last few days. I also taped off all of the little holes and emptied 3 cans of Eastwoods Frame Rust Encapsulator into all of the new frame pieces as well as the original pieces that only had light surface rust.

KFkWtvW3Q%KUC105mFoQmw.jpg

I also took the hammers to the new inner and outer wheel wells to simulate the beating that the factory gave them in order for the convertible top to fit.

SPP3j924Tziff8+1nvYURg.jpg

Next up was some 2K primer.
%PDie%vRQVyPTiAmqn93NA.jpg

And today got started on the seam sealer.

%WjTo6MyS8++9QBmNuF8kQ.jpg

gJIH1nLwTxCrCUzB0czsww.jpg

I gotta tell you its so nice to be doing something other than - cut, weld, grind, repeat, day after day!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looking really good, it is a nice turning point when all the stuff you are working on is new and clean. Keep at it, turning out very nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking really good, it is a nice turning point when all the stuff you are working on is new and clean. Keep at it, turning out very nice.
Thanks, this is the first time I have done anything this in depth and many times I thought I was in waaaaay over my head. Those times are behind me now and its full speed ahead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts