Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello to all. I recently purchased a 1970 Coupe with the original 302 block and a running 302 4v. It also came with almost all parts needed to complete restoration for $1k. I know, an amazing deal. However, the passenger quarter panel is pretty heavily damaged. Does anyone know where I could purchase a replacement panel? Or if not any suggestions on how to repair this one? The only ones I’ve seen for sale have a different marker light configuration and I’d like to keep it original if at all possible. I’ll post more pictures of the car later on. Thanks in advance,
Daniel

· Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
NPD and CJPP are the two biggest, NPD will send you a free old school paper catalog.

· Registered
In my stable: 1969 Mustang notchback, 1970 mustang notchback, 1970 sports roof.
313 Posts
I am in the same boat buddy, here's my 70 coupe in need of a panel. I purchased it without realizing that almost all mustang sheet metal is reproduced except for 70 coupe quarters. I have a 69 coupe as well and the quarters are completely different. I thought of maybe trying to graft in 1970 sports roof quarters. The 1970 convertible quarters are based on the 69 quarters so no go there. The area of damage on yours though, maybe you can find a patch panel or cut that area out of a sports roof quarter? For mine, I have to find a car to cut it out of.

· Registered
13,376 Posts
You'll have to scour online ads for someone parting out a 1970 Coupe. Unfortunately, they're not popular cars so nobody reproduces the unique sheet metal like the roof and quarters. I had an issue with replacing the B-pillar on my my 1970 Mach 1. It's not reproduced and mine was rusted out. No kidding, I found a young guy who lived on a farm way out on the Colorado prairie who was parting out a 1970 coupe. The B-pillar was just a little bit different, but it worked fine. The young guy pulled out a plasma torch and asked me where I wanted him to cut. (Sorry, that was nine years ago and I doubt he still has that 1970 Coupe.)

In fact, it might be worthwhile to find a 1970 coupe parts car; something that's been hit hard up front perhaps, but is otherwise complete. Such a car would be invaluable. All the little pieces your car is missing start to add up really fast. The fact the 1970 coupes are not popular works to your advantage there. You should be able to pick up a parts car pretty cheap. Finding a fastback like that would be near impossible.

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.