Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to modify my 1970 guage cluster - I want to remove the stock guages and try to replace them all with a matched set of autometer guages, something with white face & i dont want to do the white guage face sticker overlay thing - plus i just want more detailed guages. i have not measured anything yet at all. i was just wondering if anyone initially knew if it was possible or has done it and can lend some pics, pointers and product specifics.

I also have not studied the wiring schematics very closely yet. if the main wiring harness is unplugged and abandoned in place from the existing guage cluster - will this cause any problems with any other car wiring ? starting, etc... ?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Several people have done it. And, yes, you can simply unplug the main harness from the gauge cluster and it will have no effect on anything but the gauge cluster and cluster lights. You'd probably want to insulate the big plug, though, as all but one of the wires (the ground) are hot with the key on, and the metal tabs will be exposed.

Edited:
It will, however, disconnect the dash signal indicators, and high beam indicator, but it will not effect the external turn signal lights.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Johnpro, are you sure about that?

Most ammeters have to be installed in series with the main hot before it goes to the rest of the car......

Just asking, not trying to heckle ;)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I just re-installed the cluster in my '69 about a week ago. It's been out for the last 6 months, and I start and move the car all the time. I just always made sure that the main plug didn't touch anything metal, as I've already had to re-wire enough of this car since the PO fried half the wiring in it, including melting the circuit board ::.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts