Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is Enzo from Italy. I restored a 1970 Mach 1 which is a beuty and among other things I replaced the dash pad. There are two slots on the back of the pad just close to the windscreen and I guess they are the Defrost ducts. I wonder if there is supposed to be a cover or a molding for those. Anyone can help? I did check with CJ Pony and they dont have them nor, they checked, they are available from other vendors.

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
No cover, no molding, no anything.... Everything having to do with the defroster is hidden underneath those two slots, but nothing trims out the top.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Ciao amico, come stai benvenuti a VMF

youll get a lot of good info on here

100 years ago my family came from Isernia on my dads side and Ponza on my moms

I havent ever been to either :)

spent a lot of time in Naples and Sicily while i was in the Navy back in the early 80s. wonderful country, great wine and food. lots of pretty ladies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No cover, no molding, no anything.... Everything having to do with the defroster is hidden underneath those two slots, but nothing trims out the top.
Appreciate, thank you. This make me feel more confortable I did not miss something. On the other hand, how is that? Does it means that if you by accident trow something on the dash pad it may fall down the duct?

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
Appreciate, thank you. This make me feel more confortable I did not miss something. On the other hand, how is that? Does it means that if you by accident trow something on the dash pad it may fall down the duct?
Yes... As is the case with most any classic vehicle... And c'mon, you're really going to "throw something" at your dash pad? LOL ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ciao amico, come stai benvenuti a VMF

youll get a lot of good info on here

100 years ago my family came from Isernia on my dads side and Ponza on my moms

I havent ever been to either :)

spent a lot of time in Naples and Sicily while i was in the Navy back in the early 80s. wonderful country, great wine and food. lots of pretty ladies.
Ciao Amico, you right, wine, food, nice ladies and fun. Come back, really nothing special in Iserna but Ponza is among the most beautiful small island in Italy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The defroster ducts that are connected underneath the dash do (or should) have metal screens already fastened across their top vent opening, so if you do drop something in, it will fall through the dash pad, but will not fall into the ductwork coming from the heater. I am basing this on my '68, but assume that it works on most other Mustangs. I'm thinking of adding an extra piece of screen between the dash and pad just to make sure things dont drop too far. BTW, check the '68 defroster ducts on CJ site and you can see the screens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The defroster ducts that are connected underneath the dash do (or should) have metal screens already fastened across their top vent opening, so if you do drop something in, it will fall through the dash pad, but will not fall into the ductwork coming from the heater. I am basing this on my '68, but assume that it works on most other Mustangs. I'm thinking of adding an extra piece of screen between the dash and pad just to make sure things dont drop too far. BTW, check the '68 defroster ducts on CJ site and you can see the screens.
Thank you, I will have a look

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
When I disassembled my 1970 Mach 1, there were no screens on the defroster ducts. And I'm almost certain the dash had never been disassembled.

When I was in high school, I drove a 1970 fastback. The car was 10 years old at the time and it didn't have any screens either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I disassembled my 1970 Mach 1, there were no screens on the defroster ducts. And I'm almost certain the dash had never been disassembled.

When I was in high school, I drove a 1970 fastback. The car was 10 years old at the time and it didn't have any screens either.
It is now more than clear that no one has ever seen a cover for the defroster duct. Nevertheless I think that if it was there it would have been nice to see other the the empty recesses in the pad. I'll see what I can do here in my favorite shop and if something good will come up I will share with everyone. Thank you all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts