Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the thick seal located in the front/bottom of the quarter panel? The seal appears to cover two large holes in the rocker panel. The holes look too large for seam sealer only, like I should plug them first and then apply sealer. Thanks, Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Those are the quarter panel drains, which allow water do drop into the rocker and out the bottom. Don't plug them unless you want water in your interior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HemiKiller, thanks for the quick reply. I bought my car a few years ago as a rolling shell from AZ. It sat in the PO's front yard for 37yrs. The bottom of that quarter area had a seal, which I believe/assume to be original, about 1/2" thick and ran front to back and covered those holes - the two top holes in the photo. The seal is still in place on the drivers side, appears to be a poured substance. Also, someone referenced those seals in a thread, so I assumed they were supposed to be there. I do see the two punch outs in the bottom of the rocker to allow water to drain. At the end of the day I'm just trying to figure out how to prep that area before I re-install the interior. Woodchuck provided some good prep guidance but part of what I am trying to understand is was the seal original and, if so, does it need to be re-installed (pouring seam seal or cavity wax) so those holes are covered again as they were originally? Thanks, Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts