Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension for my 70 Mach 1. I just took off the strut rod and noticed that there is a slight bow/bend in it. It looks as though the other side has the same bend. Is this supposed to be like this or are they supposed to be perfectly straight? This is the first time I have ever rebuilt a suspension so any "pointers" would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The strut rods on my 70 were perfectly straight, until I ran into a freeway gaurdrail at 55 mph. Notice that the Total Control adjustable strut rods are also straight. The fact that you have a slight bow indicates to me that the front end was pushed up against something at one time. If you replace them, your alignment will probably be easier to achieve.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Strut rods should be straight. Replace them.
http://a0.cpimg.com/image/18/74/15534360-b319-02000180-.jpg

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Is the bow/bend at the very end where there are 2 holes for the mounting nuts and bolts for the lower control arm?
One end has 2 sizes of threads which are straight and the other end has a bend in it so the holes line up with the lower control arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts