Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a serious problem installing headers on my 1970 Mustang. Hjas anyone out there successfully installe headers on a mach 1 351 cleveland??? Please contact me and tell me what type you used and how they fit

·
Registered
116 Posts
Way back, 1973 or so, I had a 69 FB and installed a 351C. Hedman use to make headers that split into 3 sets of tubes on the driver side. These fit (barely) and cleared the z bar allowing the use of 4 speed. You aren't going to find these anymore (duh).

However, I've heard good things about FPA and their headers, you might want to give them a call.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hooker makes or did make a supercomp header 6210. I used them in a 68 w/351C. Zero issues with a 4speed, Z bar and no power steering.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ran Hooker.. it was 1989 though, not sure what’s current with them. Mine was a M code 70 Mach that I put a 4 speed and 71 Cleveland in. Mine was two barrel heads ported.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Need more info. Type of header (brand), what the exact issue is with the install (don't fit, can't get them in place, don't mate with exhaust, etc.). I still have the original log headers on my 70. But, looking at Sanderson to cure a leak/crack.

Spliffy

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
In the early 80's I bought a 69 that had a 351C 4V transplanted into it. Hookers headers no problem. Around 1980 I put 68 shock towers in my 66 and dropped a 351C 4V into it. Put hooker headers for a 70 with a 351C 4V on and no problem with fit. Here is a foto of the 66 with exhaust manifolds. I didnt take a foto with the headers and all we had back then was film cameras.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way back, 1973 or so, I had a 69 FB and installed a 351C. Hedman use to make headers that split into 3 sets of tubes on the driver side. These fit (barely) and cleared the z bar allowing the use of 4 speed. You aren't going to find these anymore (duh).

However, I've heard good things about FPA and their headers, you might want to give them a call.

View attachment 754984
Thankyou so much, will be in contact with them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran Hooker.. it was 1989 though, not sure what’s current with them. Mine was a M code 70 Mach that I put a 4 speed and 71 Cleveland in. Mine was two barrel heads ported.
The heads I bought are 6920-1HKR longtube headers and there si no way they fit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need more info. Type of header (brand), what the exact issue is with the install (don't fit, can't get them in place, don't mate with exhaust, etc.). I still have the original log headers on my 70. But, looking at Sanderson to cure a leak/crack.

Spliffy
The headers are 6920-1HKR Hooker headers It is a 351C 1970 Mustang Mach 1 automatic. They do not fit at all. Steering clearances and just general no clearance at all for headers to go in

·
Registered
207 Posts
The headers are 6920-1HKR Hooker headers It is a 351C 1970 Mustang Mach 1 automatic. They do not fit at all. Steering clearances and just general no clearance at all for headers to go in
Don’t know what changed over all these years or what part number I had... but now that you mention it I do remember putting a pretty good dimple along a runner to fit for the 4 speed linkage. I also always cut each tube independent so I can line them up better to the exhaust ports.

Also always a habit to install headers in bay, tape them to the bay and load engine with headers in bay. Hard to tighten but always less hassle... especially when I went big block.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I use FPA on my 69 with a Cleveland. I use the beefy JBA power steering drop bracket welded to the frame. I think the drivers side went in from the bottom and the passengers side went in from the top.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In the early 80's I bought a 69 that had a 351C 4V transplanted into it. Hookers headers no problem. Around 1980 I put 68 shock towers in my 66 and dropped a 351C 4V into it. Put hooker headers for a 70 with a 351C 4V on and no problem with fit. Here is a foto of the 66 with exhaust manifolds. I didnt take a foto with the headers and all we had back then was film cameras.

View attachment 755019
Question for you Supershifter. By swaping out the shock towers, did that buy you more clearance for the headers and was it a direct for the shock towers, or did you have to modify the aprons? Also did you keep the stock 66 control arms or did you have to swap to 68 suspension?

LJ

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
Currently running Sanderson "shorty" headers on my 1970 Mach 1 with 351 Cleveland, power steering and factory Z-bar. Installing the headers wasn't easy, but once I droppped the power steering ram, the header went in without too much trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts