Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting to power steering and have a complete steering assembly from a 1969 cougar and one from a 1978 granada. My question is which one will fit with the least amount of headache. Both are in cars and I can get either one or both cheap. I have been searching for a few hours for the answer and it seems that the cougar steering unit would fit the best, but before I spend $100 I should ask the experts. Thank you. Jeff.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Im no expert, but I believe the 69 cougar setup will bolt straight in......IIRC, the cougar frame in 69/70 is just a stretched version of the mustang.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much thanks guys. If anyone has done this and ran into problems please reply also.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is right on the taper for outer tie rod, Granada already has the correct tie rods.The Granada will bolt right up,,the difference is in the hoses,,,Mustang and Cougar used "flared" ends on the hoses,,,pressure,return,and the two that drive the "ram".Granada used an O-Ring style,,,,pop one of the hoses off and you will see what i mean. I personally don't like o-ring style,,and another thing to consider is when buying replacement parts,,,But Granada has the same stlye spool valve assy.,,just with that o-ring design,,,,hope this helps.,,,Kaiser

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The pump on a 1970 has a different hook up for the pressure hose I believe it's called an "inverted male" connection. On a 351C the 69 pump won't work because the way the hose exits is too close or touching the manifold. I tried a 69 setup on my 70 351C and found the problem and ended up getting the correct 70 stuff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would be interested in buying your old M/S parts when you finish. I am wanting to go the other direction with my '69, power to manual. In would like to get all the suspension components you remove (center link, drag link, etc.) as well as the 351C water pump pulley for a M/S car. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in selling. PM me if you get a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts